Thread: JB weld

Savage13

JB weld

WOuld JB weld work well for a bedding compond? Im looking at the stuff that has a strenght of 3960 PSI. I know DEVCON is what most ppl use im just looking for a budget alternative atm the 50$ plus shipping is a lil hard to come by. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. TY

Team Savage
    works great,after you mix it let it set 20 to 30 min. to thicken

drybean

Team Savage
    I use the Devcon Plastic Steel Epoxy in a double-tube syringe found at the local harware store for around $5.00 - $6.00. It is easier to use and works better than JB weld IMO.

david8989
    I use JB weld for small bedding jobs such as scope bases, flush cups, and pic rails. But I think i'd stick with devcon for bedding actions.

acemisser
    I have used Mar Glass body bondo befor and it worked great,,This was on my M 1 Garand rifle about 30 years ago...

JCalhoun
    I have only used Brownell's Acra-glas gel and Steel Bed. I don't Know if JB Weld would work or not.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    works great,after you mix it let it set 20 to 30 min. to thicken

drybean
    +1 What Drybean said ↑.

It has worked for me.

Nandy
    I also have use jbweld for bedding a rifle with good results.

Speedrat1
    I've used both JB and plain ole 5 minute out of the twin tube. Haven't had the first problem and if you have to "edit" or remove a little from areas it's a lot less exciting than some of the more glass like materials.

Basic Member
    I use Devcon now but I did one with JB Weld and it turned out fine, just a bit thin, as stated.

Basic Member
    JB weld worked for me and the price is right! no problems here.

Basic Member
    I have used jb weld too and its gotten the job done!

LRJammer
    While you can use JB Weld, it certainly isnt optimal. Midway has single use tubes of Devon for about $8. Doesnt get any better than that.

That1guy
    1lb of Devcon is 36+ shipping at Midway. Little cheaper than 50, and will do 3-4 jobs.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by LRJammer View Post
    While you can use JB Weld, it certainly isnt optimal.
    Can you amplify or provide more discussion about your own experiences to support your statement? Not being argumentative, but would like to learn. Thanks.

LRJammer
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Can you amplify or provide more discussion about your own experiences to support your statement? Not being argumentative, but would like to learn. Thanks.
    I found it too runny to keep in place effectively. It didnt want release as well as dedicated bedding compounds either.

I have used JB weld on my three Savages with threaded lamp tubing for pillars and obtained what I feel are excellent results. Like previously said it needs to set just a little so it won't run. I may be a little more particular than most but by the time I mixed it and got it applied in all the nooks and crannies and got ready to put it together it was set up just about right. Easy to clean up with alcohol. I used minwax paste wax for release agent an plumbers putty for filling holes. Stuff is easy to reshape, file grind etc for the finished look. I let it set for 24 hrs. before breaking apart. Good luck....the first one is always the most nerve wracking....Floyd

I've probably bedded more rifles with JB weld than any other bedding compound. It has worked very well every time as long as it's not applied too thin. As others have stated letting it thicken up for a few minutes before use helps. Kiwi neutral shoe polish works great as a release agent and I've never had any problems getting it to release. I usually drill some small holes at opposing angles into the stock to make sure I get a good mechanical lock.I have had problems with some of the faster setting epoxies and now stay away from them.
    Good luck
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I've used JB lots of times and it works well. I've also used the Devcon plastic steel putty. The Devcon is easier to use because of its consistency, but that's about the only benefit.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar