Thread: Large shank barrel switch?

Basic Member

Large shank barrel switch?

Hello Savages!

First time post here, and I will begin by confessing my almost complete ignorance, so please bear with me.

I have a short action .300 WSM that is pre- accutrigger. It has a blind magazine, flat rear receiver, and the large barrel shank. So far I know what I'm talking about, but here it comes!

Can I convert to .308 by doing the following?

Installing the correct magazine box and follower.

Changing the bolt head to an '06 family size.

Last, installing a .308 barrel.

My questions are specifically, will I have trouble finding a large shank .308 barrel? AND! Is there anything about the short, fat WSM magazine box that would make converting to the .308 box problematic? The stock is factory wood, so if need be I can easily shim the box inlet....if necessary.

What say you all? I came into the .300 as part of a swap, but am not really interested in the cartridge all that much. I shoot four .30 caliber cartridges already, .30-30, .308, .30-06, and the Super Thirty, .300 H&H. Don't really need another .30 on the farm, so to speak, but another .308 with possibly a .257 Roberts barrel to switch to wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Thanks for any assistance!

Otony

JCalhoun
    You will have to swap the bolt head and get a barrel made to fit the large shank receiver.

If you want to stay with the WSM you can easily switch to the 7WSM.

I have nearly the same gun but mine started as a 7saum. but its large shank, short action, flat back, stagger feed, same as yours. I regularly switch from 270wsm to 204ruger! I switch out the bolt head, box and mag, barrel, firing pin, stock (204 is bull barrel and 270wsm is sporter) and also the bolt handle gets switched. Its very much doable. It may just take some looking for a large shank 308 barrel. good luck

Midway has a couple prefits that are 308 large shanks.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/316...tainless-steel

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/765...hreaded-muzzle

I'm sure a couple of our vendors could help you out as well, Northlander and Rock Creek can get you the barrel you need.

Also, you'll need a short action standard firning pin assembly. Your WSM one won't work.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/865...inchester-blue
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar