id like a .338 lm,and would love to just buy a 110 fcp or something ready to go, but cant drop $1500+ at once for a gun then another $500-$1500 for a scope that will make it a 1000yd + tack driver.

Where would you veteran shooters/builders recommend a novice like me start in order to "piece" a rifle together. Mostly so I can do it on a "payment plan" buying one part here, one part there to complete the build?

My initial research on something like a savage factory .338 110 fcp, leads me to believe I could find a used savage 110, and with a rebarrel/new bolt face, and some other 'smith work, convert it to .338. is this so? Id like to start looking for a donor rifle to get the action off of asap if this is the case. Fortunately I have a friend who shoots .338 lm regularly (with a rifle WAY out of my budget) but he reloads, so I have access to that, to save a few pennies on the ammo, which isnt cheap.

Ultimately my goal is to build a long range (1000 yd+) .338lm rig for $1000, or less if I can, before buying the scope. Is this possible? Im not a seasoned rifle shooter/builder, so any wisdom from the veterans here is much appreciated