Thread: a little shadetree bolt knob gunsmithing on my savage

bodywerks

a little shadetree bolt knob gunsmithing on my savage

Decided to make my own bolt knob for my savage. I know i could have had one done for about $100 and a lot less effort on my part, but there's a feeling of accomplishment in doing **** yourself...
    So my dad is the one with the lathe and mill, buy he lives 450 miles away. I'd spend double in diesel driving there than i would just to pay someone else to do it! Lucky for me i work for the airlines and fly darn near free of charge...
    Long story sort, i get to my dads house thinking he had exactly the vise i needeto get the job done (something to change the angle of it). Nope! Time for some retrofitting...

bodywerks
    I wanted my bolt handle to angle back a bit. I like how the Remingtons feel in that respect. So before i cut that gawdawful ball off i took a torch to it and knocked the handle back about 25°. Hard to see in the pic but here it it's after I trued up the cut off face on the mill...

bodywerks
    With that done, time to tap. I found center and tapped away...

Then insert threaded stud...

bodywerks
    Time to make the bolt - it's in there somewhere...

bodywerks
    There it is! Installed and everything! Looks like magic, but truth is i had about 4 hours to get this done so i could get to sleep in time to catch my flight home so i lost track and forgot to take pics of the progress. Anyway, now you can see the angle i built into it. I like it!

Topstrap
    Looks great, I've purchased my last two but have two more Savages I'd like to get done. They both have that big ugly knob being target actions. Have a mill and lathe, just might take the leap and try what you did.

I like DIY threads like this.

Topstrap

stangfish
    Looks like you needed a sine plate, Neccesity is the mother..... I like the fact that you did a bolt lift kit w/a thrust bearing as well.

bodywerks
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Looks like you needed a sine plate, Neccesity is the mother..... I like the fact that you did a bolt lift kit w/a thrust bearing as well.
    I like that you caught that! I did that with a drill press, file, and emery paper...

bodywerks
    I had an indexing plate also. If i had the time I was gonna pot some length wise cuts on out as well. Bit i ran out of time and, well, time and u liked it how it was so, there you have it.

JCalhoun
    Is that your wife or girlfriend in the picture?

bodywerks
    A man can dream can't he?

nwkman
    Nice job

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by nwkman View Post
    Nice job
    ......................and this too. Actually, it is a fintastic job. Do you have a pic with it on the rifle?

bodywerks
    Not yet. My action is at Phoenix custom rifles getting a rebarrel. I'm sending this bolt off to them as well to do a cerakote job to it. Doing done shadetree work on my HS precision stock as well, adding an adjustable cheek piece and retrofitting a choate tree way adjustable butt piece. I'll post pics as i make more progress.

dondick
    Nice work .