Thread: Sharp Shooters Supply (SSS)

goinssr

Sharp Shooters Supply (SSS)

Are these cats still in business? They will not take phone calls and want you to conduct all business via email. What kind of crap is that? If you have time to answer emails then you have time to answer the phone. I want to check on parts availability and talk to someone about the bolt fluting. What can be accomplished in 10 minutes on the phone will take days to get done via email.

Mike kinda hit it...sorta. My reasons for my statement above.

1. Every few months a thread like this starts with someone asking about having trouble contacting SSS. Invariably some disgruntled past customer (or customers) have to chime in and grind the axe a little by badmouthing SSS. As a result this leads to many satisfied SSS customers replying to defend SSS - and in the end it just snowballs into one big pissing match that accomplishes nothing other than to pit members against members.

2. If you have issues with SSS take it up with SSS. I can't help you resolve the problem, nor can anyone else here on the forum help you resolve the problem. Coming on here and pissing/moaning about poor C/S, long waits, etc doesn't accomplish anything other than making you look like a whiner.

3. Yes they're hard to get through to on the phone - that's no secret. If you've been frequenting this forum or a number of others for any length of time you would have been well aware of that when you ordered so don't act all surprised when you have a hard time getting through to them after the fact.

If it were me and my business, and everyone here treated me like they have SSS over the last several years after all I've done to help educated and inform them via this site I can tell you exactly what I would do. I would discontinue all sales of parts/accessories and go solely to building complete custom Savage rifles. No barrel orders, no stock orders, no replacement parts, no triggers, not nothing - unless it's a complete custom build. After all, no one complains about all the gunsmiths who take 2-3 years to complete a custom gun for a customer. My phone wouldn't be ringing off the hook day in and day out, I wouldn't get 500-1000 emails a day filled with ridiculous questions from tire kickers, and I surely wouldn't be out in the shop working until 2-3am every night trying to keep up.

Lucky for you all I'm not Fred huh?

That was taken from here...
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...hooters-supply

Good luck
    Gary

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goinssr View Post
    Are these cats still in business? They will not take phone calls and want you to conduct all business via email. What kind of crap is that? If you have time to answer emails then you have time to answer the phone. I want to check on parts availability and talk to someone about the bolt fluting. What can be accomplished in 10 minutes on the phone will take days to get done via email.
    A couple weeks ago I emailed them with a question and got an email back the same day.

They probably answer all of their emails at one time when things have calmed down. They can't get to the phone when their shop is full of customers.

And yes, they run a shop, not just an online warehouse.

goinssr
    Good deal. I know the world is crazy right now. I'm really diggin' on the bolt body fluting that they do. I would like to have it done for my wife.

sliderspal
    I also tried contacting them by phone.
    Called during the times they have listed as the time that they take calls.
    They didn't answer.
    No answer phone, take my business elsewhere.

Team Savage
    The last time I talked to Lisa, just before Christmas, she said they were going to stop taking new orders and catch up the old orders. I believe they did the same last year. Last week I did get an e-mail about the T&T Fred is doing for me. I agree with Gary B and will add that Fred and Lisa are nice people and very busy.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sliderspal View Post
    I also tried contacting them by phone.
    Called during the times they have listed as the time that they take calls.
    They didn't answer.
    No answer phone, take my business elsewhere.
    With everything going on, good luck getting business at all.

sliderspal
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm0812 View Post
    With everything going on, good luck getting business at all.
    Still doesn't excuse poor business practices.

Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    I agree with Gary B and will add that Fred and Lisa are nice people and very busy.
    Just so you know, Mcfurious wrote that in the thread I linked to. But I do agree with him.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sliderspal View Post
    Still doesn't excuse poor business practices.
    You run a mom and pop store with orders on top of orders and try to get to every phone call, not gonna happen.

goinssr
    First I want to say that I did not mean for this to become an SSS bashing thread. But the fact remains that their actions are not conducive to good business practices, I don't care if they are good people or not. You DO NOT take order on top of order and stop answering the phones, stop replying to customers, and suspend orders just because you got busy. That tells me that they need to hire help on a temporary basis so that the shop can remain fluid and business can continue. You cannot take a bunch of orders, fall off of the grid until they are filled, return to the grid and expect customers to be lined up with open arms and happy that you decided to return to taking orders. When business gets that good you adapt and grow with it. You can defend the people if you want, I'm sure that they are good folks from what I gather of those who have dealt with them, but again, their business practice is not acceptable for those who wish to do business with their shop.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd DONE!
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain