Thread: Yet ANOTHER lesson learned

Basic Member

Yet ANOTHER lesson learned

Yesterday the mailman delivered me my Mag bolt head from PTG and man was I excited. I also purchased a long action bolt that had been jeweled off of eBay to use on the 264 build that I have been talking about for months. So this morning I decided to build the bolt using the new head and body. Well guess what? The bolt head would not fit into the body! The bolt body has a small tang on the extractor side and the bolt body does not! So I panicked a bit.... looked at my other Savage long actions.... Well all but one have that tang on the body. The one that does not have the tang is my son's newer 111 in 25-06. So my first thought was to swap out his bolt for mine.

But knowing that he would not like that much I went to the pawn shop where I have my donor rifle waiting for my background check to be complete, taking almost 8 days here, and I got lucky! Its a newer bolt body that will take the new bolt head!

So much fun learning all this stuff! This site has been a wealth of knowledge. Thank you all

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

I grind the tang out of the bolt body with a Dremel, or grind a notch in the bolt head both are acceptable solutions.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

The tang was there so that the poorly trained monkeys at the factory wouldn't assemble the bolt head to the bolt body 180 degrees out. They now have smarter monkeys and thus no longer need the alignment tang. Simply grind it out with a dremel and you're good to go.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain