Thread: Boyds' recoil pads are Pachmayr Decelerators

thomae

Boyds' recoil pads are Pachmayr Decelerators

I just spoke with a representative at Boyd's Gunstocks.
    I asked them whether or not the Pachmayr pads they are offering as a new option for their stocks are the "Decelerators."
    (Pachmayr makes many pads, some are simply the traditional rubber pads.)

They checked to make sure and then sent me back this email within an hour:

Yes the Pads we offer are Pachmayr Decelerator Pads.
    And you can purchase them as a sandable pad or in about a week you can purchase assembled to a stock from our website.
    Thanks,
    I thought I would share this with my fellow Savage Shooters.
    Cheers.

Nice those are my favorite recoil pads anyways. Good to know thanks.

Basic Member
    Buyer Beware...
    Pachmayr makes SEVERAL "Decelerator" pads- so you'd be advised to call Boyd's and ask them which one they're selling you for $30 installed. Perhaps they're getting great volume pricing and custom pads from Pachmayr that allows them to price them so cheap ($30 installed).

But... the "top" Decelerator- the 1" thick, D750B, retails for about $40- and that's obviously without installation.

The DP200 "Decelerator", however...is a 1/2" pad, and sells for about $10 from places like Brownells.

http://www.pachmayr.com/home/DP200.php

I am launching a line of stocks for sale, I've studied them all...and I'm offering a selection, and clearly specifying the models and prices of Pachmayr pads I'm making available.

This is a "faux-pas" from Boyd's IMO- they should specify the model number, or if it's a custom one Pachmayr is making for them, specify the pad thickness.

I really doubt, you're getting the D750 installed...for thirty bucks.

No matter what one it is its going to be better than what they have been doing.

brasse
    Their standard pad us useless, just requires more work to take off. So any Pachmayr will be better.. But I agree they should specify which model pad.

I talked with the lady 2 weeks ago, she said at that time it was not the decelerator, so they are getting the correct idea that we are not stupid.

If they give a fitted and attached DP200 for $30, give us the D750B for $50. It is worth it to have an better option. Not everybody needs the extra recoil reduction and more expensive version. That is what choice is about. But ordering what you want is worth it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brasse View Post
    Their standard pad us useless, just requires more work to take off. So any Pachmayr will be better.. But I agree they should specify which model pad.

I talked with the lady 2 weeks ago, she said at that time it was not the decelerator, so they are getting the correct idea that we are not stupid.

If they give a fitted and attached DP200 for $30, give us the D750B for $50. It is worth it to have an better option. Not everybody needs the extra recoil reduction and more expensive version. That is what choice is about. But ordering what you want is worth it.
    ^^ X2.

Boyds represents a good value for those in the market for their particular type of product. They have dramatically increased their selection- these days, it's just a matter of having the correct code for the high-dollar CNC's.

I hope they are successful, but it's always difficult in any business to try to incorporate "semi-custom" when you've traditionally been straight-up production. Perhaps that's why they are offering only one pad option.

When it comes to recoil pads, I would assume they need to have some uniformity across the board when it comes to the butt of their stocks. Properly fitting a recoil pad (I use a Miles Gilbert jig) takes time on custom stocks. And yep...I sell the RP200 for $28, and the 1" Decelerator for $43... and trust me, there's no "money" in it at those prices. It's an accommodation to the buyer. If you take your stock to a smith, and ask him to install a grind-to-fit pad, the price would be double.

brasse
    I love the fact Boyds is doing more work so we don't have to go to a gunsmith. I have had very bad luck here in Las Vegas. I do a lot of my own work, but don't have a rotary sander to grind the rubber butpad.

So with Stock's and Boyds both offering Pachamyr I know I will do even more business with them.

BWB
    I have double checked with Boyds and it is in fact the 1" thick D752B Decelerator pad. Sounds like everyone else is just raising the price.

I called Boyd's today to order a new stock for my Model 10.
    When I inquired about the installed upgrade to the 1" Decelerator pad, I was told that it is not going to be offered until sometime in March.
    They did offer to sell it to me separately if I wanted to install it myself.
    My Woodfu is not strong, so I didn't bother asking how much.

Hopefully, my new stock fund won't be redirected to the plant fund of the almighty overseer before then