Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55 build in Wyoming

65impala

6.5x55 build in Wyoming

Greetings everyone. Today was a good day; I ran out on my lunch break and grabbed up a donor rifle for the build. It was a kinda funny situation, while waiting on the guy I kept looking at my watch and he asked if I was in a hurry, I told him yes, that I had to be in Federal Court in less than a hour....

....he was extremely nervous that I was buying a rifle right before heading into Federal Court, but when I explained to him that I am a Deputy Sheriff on my lunch break and working with U.S. Marshalls all this week it made sense to him and calmed him a bit. In retrospect it was probably not the best thing to say at the gun counter Sometimes I forget that my life isn't exactly "normal"

Anyway, I picked up a used, but in excellent condition model 110 30-06 accu-trigger for $221.75 out the door. It was marked at $329, but when he rang it up the price came out to $221.75 and while I was the nice guy and pointed out that it was a hundred dollars under-priced he just shrugged his shoulders and said, oh well. :)

I also ordered a McGowen 26" varmit profile stainless barrel tonight along with a barrell nut wrench and a go-guage in 6.5x55. I'll be ordering more parts along the way and I'll be sure to include plenty of pics of the build and finished product along with a range report when I am finished. This rifle is just a toy to play around with at medium ranges, mostly 600-800 yards with an occasional shot at further distances, along with some gong shooting at closer ranges of only a few hundred yards.

That's about all for now, here's a pic of the $221.75 rifle I picked up today

It's nothing special, just a plain old 110 in 30-06 with a cheap bi-pod, but it should be a good starting point for my build.

More details to follow when parts start rolling in.

thomae
    You got yourself a good deal on that rifle.
    Good luck with the build. We'll be looking forward to progress reports.

Basic Member
    You like it a lot when you get to fire it. Fine caliber.
    16-223, 10 223, 10 FCP 308, 111 30-06, 110 30-06, 111 6.5x55, 112 338-06/6mm Rem, 110 300 WinMag,

65impala
    Thanks gents, I'm really looking forward to shooting this thing. The 6.5x55 has long been one of my favorites, but I've never had one set up for target shooting. It should be a fun experience if nothing else

palerider338
    I bet that store clerk is working on an ulcer now. Kind of like being at the airport and yelling " Hi, Jack" to your buddy in another line.

Enjoy the build.

davemuzz
    The 6.5x55 is my favorite! No doubt about it. I have a 1915 Gustaf Swede original that's pretty darn accurate for an almost 100 year old rifle. Plus I have a Model 12 single shot with a Shilen bull that's a tac driver, and a hunter barrel that is the same.

If you reload and "scream" for teeny tiny groups, go with a bushing die and a comp seater. Yeah....$$$$$ for 'em but well worth it for itsy bitsy groups!!!

Dave

Basic Member
    Great find on the donor! Sounds like an awesome project, I thought long and hard about the 6.5x55 for my last build. Ended up with something else but have a feeling I'll get back to the Swede eventually. Where abouts in wy are you? I lived in Green River for a while and miss it every day.

65impala
    Howdy Dave, you know me from another forum man...of course I handload

George

65impala
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    Great find on the donor! Sounds like an awesome project, I thought long and hard about the 6.5x55 for my last build. Ended up with something else but have a feeling I'll get back to the Swede eventually. Where abouts in wy are you? I lived in Green River for a while and miss it every day.
    I'm in East central Wy, Converse County to be specific.

Basic Member
    Beautiful area.

The 6.5x55 is my favorite! No doubt about it.
    REALLY DAVE!? WHO KNEW! Me too.

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by 65impala View Post
    Howdy Dave, you know me from another forum man...of course I handload

George
    Handload....and a fellow named George.....Hmmmmm......Beats the heck outta me. I do know a bunch of good fellows over on Handloader.com who have a pile of knowledge about reloading and really helped me out a bunch when I started out about 7 or 8 years ago. But a George?...I don't think I can publicly admit to that one. (Handloaders told me to never admit that I know of anyone named George outside of said "Handloaders" forum. In fact, I may be lying...but I don't think I'm a member their. Or even a member here. 'Nuff said. )

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    REALLY DAVE!? WHO KNEW! Me too.
    WMB......I dunno? You think 'cause 98.55% of my post focus on the 6.5 caliber? NAH!! Some folks say I obsess over that cartridge. I think not. Now, you wanna talk about 44 Magnum's ???

65impala
    Hmmmmm.... Must be another Davmuzz over there or maybe nobody wants to admit they know me :)

Basic Member
    I, too, live in Wyoming and did a 6.5x55 build with a McGowen varmint weight barrel. Had it out last week, in fact. Had it ringing steel and shooting little groups that made me smile.

LanceS4803
    6.5 is probably my favorite caliber.
    My day-to-day hunting rifle is a former M96 Swede built in 1900. That old steel is incredibly accurate.

davemuzz
    Hmmmmm.... Must be another Davmuzz over there or maybe nobody wants to admit they know me :)
    Just yankin your chain. You actually own a 65 Impala? When I was in college....way back in the day, I actually picked up a '66 Impala convertible for $200. Yeah. Now, the whole drivers side was replaced as it had kissed a tree or something immovable, but it got me thru two years before the little 283 finally just gave out with 130,000. Had the Chevy "power-glide" tranny in it. Nothing like a taking a date to my "special" spot and putting the roof down!!!

Dave

65impala
    I figured as much Dave :) yes, I have a 65 SS Impala. It was my first car and will be with me to the end! Currently it's partially torn down undergoing a restoration that'll probably take ten years at my current rate of spending money on guns instead of the car!

davemuzz
    I figured as much Dave :) yes, I have a 65 SS Impala. It was my first car and will be with me to the end! Currently it's partially torn down undergoing a restoration that'll probably take ten years at my current rate of spending money on guns instead of the car!
    Just let me know if you want to "dump it." I need an excuse to come to WY and shoot coyotes!!!

Dave

65impala
    Come on out and shoot, but the car isn't going anywhere :)

Have an M96 that was born in 1910. They are accurate indeed. Varget or H4895 and 123g Sierras shoot really fine.

davemuzz
    Come on out and shoot, but the car isn't going anywhere :)
    I'll be back out to shoot. But for the car:

65impala
    Well, the parts all came in yesterday so this morning I got up and started assembling stuff. Tomorrow morning I'll test fire and start load development, but for now here's a couple of iphone pics just to show the progress for now.

It's a Savage 110 action with a tuned and modified accu-trigger, McGowen 26" stainless barrel in 6.5x55, Choate tactical stock, Bushnell elite "tactical" milradian scope, burris rings with 10 MOA cant and a harris bipod.

At this point my total invested is roughly $900, I guess the range results will tell if it was a good choice or a waste of money....

Looks GREAT! Just finished mine a few days ago. Shilen barrel. Never had used H4831 in the 6.5x55 but read a few posts where guys were having good groups with it. Anyway put 49.5gr of H4831 in Lapua brass and added a 120 Sierra Match bullet on top. Five shot group was just .65"....wind was really gusting from all directions so one shot was right just a bit the other four measured .35". I'll take it.
    Love the Swede. Keep us posted on how it shoots.

65impala
    Will do for sure. I'm using IMR4831 and have loaded up 15 at the minimum load for testing and sigthing then 20 in .3gr increments to shoot a ladder test to give me a basis for where to start my load development. I'm running 140gr sierra MKs for now since they are out of the 142gr version. I'll post up some kind of report tomorrow when I get back from the range.

Thanks,
    George

dcloco
    Very nice. Please post target pictures when you have the chance.

Both of my 6.5x55 AI's like H4831.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast