Thread: .358 Hoosier Buid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nate

.358 Hoosier Buid

I am sure not many outside of the state of Indiana know much about the purpose of the .358 Hoosier but I would rather get advice from the experts on this forum.

A short histrory, for deer hunting in Indiana you must have a caliber of at least .358 and max case length is 1.8. The .358 Hoosier is basically the min caliber and max length. Here is a link with more information.

http://books.google.com/books?id=bjh...oosier&f=false

There are a few shops building these guns and ammunition is available at a premium. Hornady makes dies and I have been told Pacific tool and gauge makes remears.

The case is based off the .308 Winchester trimmed and renecked.

I want to build this gun on a Savage action and want to peice it together myself. I have access to a like new 111 in .308 with the Nikon Scope for under 400. I would consider buying a used short action in .243, .308, or .270.

I have never built my own rifle however am mechanical and have access to milling machines and a lathe. I have spent alot of time reading and I think the most affordable option will be the savage build. I intend to purchase a membership so I can search the forums for used actions or stocks.

I am a long way from needing to worry about headspace or barrel swaps and have just a few questions before I start.

Understanding that this is not a 1000 Yard match gun and more of a 250 yard deer gun I am looking for suggestions for a barrel. The barrel will need to be bored in .358. However the .358 WSSM and the 35 remington chamber is too deep so I would need a blank with custom ream for the Hoosier. I may be interested in buying 3 to 5 barrels for other builds. Once I get the 15 dollars spent I may be able to contact companys and answer my own questions but having never built a rifle I have no idea what companys to avoid. I also want to know what I am missing. It seems straight forward but I could be wrong.

If I buy the .308 111 I think I just need a custom replacement barrel. Correct me if Im wrong.

I will be purchasing the dies from Hornady, as ammunition is around 3 bucks a shot purchased commercialy.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Nate; 02-12-2013 at 01:19 PM.

goinssr
    This is an interesting round, I've never heard of it (probably no suprise) What kind of external ballistics does it provide?

Nate
    Loaded with 180 grain and 200 grain. 2500 and 2600 FPS. Thats based off what I the builders have posted, not first hand experience.

goinssr
    More impressive than I would have imagined.

Welcome to the site.
    Unfortunately in order to view the classifieds or research articles you will need to join the forum for $15.
    Savage prefits are made by quite a few barrel makers you would need to decide which one you want. Makers include Shilen, Mcgowan,Douglas Hart, Criterion,Pac Nor and a host of others,so looking them up first and finding what you need is a start.There are vendors here who can help,so maybe joining is the best way to go. Some can even get you started building what you want from scratch.
    Good luck and keep us posted on your endeavor.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

I did a similar build in a Striker for Illinois to be handgun legal, since no centerfire rifles can be used and other associated rules, in 30 Bellm. I ordered a 30 Cal blank from ER Shaw, McGowan is probally cheaper, and sent it to Mike Bellm for the chamber. Your build should be easy just find the reamer. I headspace my 30B with an empty case.
    http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=106

Basic Member
    I wouldn't get a 111 model for this short of a cartridge, unless you plan only a single shot. The 308 usually feeds OK from a long action, but shortening the case even more will lead to issues I am afraid.

I would personally buy a 223, in a short action. The reason is the 223 case is 1.760" which is right there with your goal, plus I am guessing you'll be using bullets of flat nose? Maybe not. What is the standard COAL for the loaded round. If it exceeds the std COAL for a 223, then buy a 308 based SHORT ACTION.

As I mentioned, if it were ME, I'd modify a 223 based rifle because the magazine length would be ideal, but I would also adjust the magazine and follower to work properly with the fatter 308 based case.

Let us know what you use, and how it goes.

Nate
    I have found that Match Grade Machine will build the barrel and they offer the .358 Hoosier chamber. They are they only one I have found to this point that have the reamer to do the chamber. I talked to several shops that will build the blank. The Shaw barrel seems promising but they won't do the chamber even if I purchase the tooling and send it to them. The MGM barrel seems the simplest, their web page makes them seem like a TC barrel only builder but I talked to them on the phone and they said the savage action would be no problem.

Handirifle You are correct. It must be a 10 or 11 to work. I hit one to many 1's. on a side note I am going to sell a couple handi rifles to clear out some room and help fund this project. 22-250 and .223.
    Last edited by Nate; 02-12-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    I have found that Match Grade Machine will build the barrel and they offer the .358 Hoosier chamber. They are they only one I have found to this point that have the reamer to do the chamber.
    4D has the reamer, gauges and chambered barrels for Savages if you prefer to go that route. http://www.4-dproducts.com/displayit...6&tname=rental

4D Savage barrels http://www.4-dproducts.com/savage.php

Bill

I think it would be best to modify a 308 based rifle, considering the case head size you would need (.473).
    If you like the hog hunter stock, that would probably work because I think it has a barrel channel for a heavier barrel that would handle the larger 358 contour you are after.
    The 308 magazine should feed your new round, as the diameter is nearly the same as a 308.
    As far as resale of the barrel, here is one that brought big $$ on Ebay lately:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-model...item43b8428483

bossman

Nate
    Quick question as I look for donor guns. To go out to .358 the custom barrel must be more than a sporter contour. Being that this will be a brush beater I'm not too concerned about the stock. Savage sells an 11 hog hunter with a medium contour barrel. I like the OD green stock even though I'm sure it's hollow plastic. I have had good results with non expanding foam in those in the past. With the hog hunter I would possibly be able to use the stock and action while the threaded barrel with irons would carry some value to recoup cost. I would like some understanding oof the difference between the contour of the 10, the hog hunter, and the 11. I have heard them called varmint, heavy, and medium. Are there specs on these somewhere? Would like new barrel to fit with as little work as possible. Looked at a lot of stocks on Boyd's and could only find "bull" and factory Channel.

thomae
    Barrel with Irons might be worth less than a smooth barrel for resale because there is no guarantee that after headspacing on a different action the sights will line up correctly for the purchaser.
    Don't know for sure, just a thought.

Nate
    Well the 11 hog hunter will be ordered tomorrow. Thanks for the info boss man. Will dress it up a bit, do an airbrushed gun-kote and pick an optic.

One more question for now. I want to order my barrel from MGM to the same contour as the factory barrel. The hog barrel looks very heavy and is called a "medium" All the custom shops I have looked into list sporter, magnum, varmint, and bull as stock Savage barrel. Will MGM know the medium contour or should I wait till I have the barrel in hand with calipers before ordering the MGM.