Thread: .358 Hoosier Buid

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nate

.358 Hoosier Buid

I am sure not many outside of the state of Indiana know much about the purpose of the .358 Hoosier but I would rather get advice from the experts on this forum.

A short histrory, for deer hunting in Indiana you must have a caliber of at least .358 and max case length is 1.8. The .358 Hoosier is basically the min caliber and max length. Here is a link with more information.

http://books.google.com/books?id=bjh...oosier&f=false

There are a few shops building these guns and ammunition is available at a premium. Hornady makes dies and I have been told Pacific tool and gauge makes remears.

The case is based off the .308 Winchester trimmed and renecked.

I want to build this gun on a Savage action and want to peice it together myself. I have access to a like new 111 in .308 with the Nikon Scope for under 400. I would consider buying a used short action in .243, .308, or .270.

I have never built my own rifle however am mechanical and have access to milling machines and a lathe. I have spent alot of time reading and I think the most affordable option will be the savage build. I intend to purchase a membership so I can search the forums for used actions or stocks.

I am a long way from needing to worry about headspace or barrel swaps and have just a few questions before I start.

Understanding that this is not a 1000 Yard match gun and more of a 250 yard deer gun I am looking for suggestions for a barrel. The barrel will need to be bored in .358. However the .358 WSSM and the 35 remington chamber is too deep so I would need a blank with custom ream for the Hoosier. I may be interested in buying 3 to 5 barrels for other builds. Once I get the 15 dollars spent I may be able to contact companys and answer my own questions but having never built a rifle I have no idea what companys to avoid. I also want to know what I am missing. It seems straight forward but I could be wrong.

If I buy the .308 111 I think I just need a custom replacement barrel. Correct me if Im wrong.

I will be purchasing the dies from Hornady, as ammunition is around 3 bucks a shot purchased commercialy.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Nate; 02-12-2013 at 01:19 PM.