Thread: New member and 1st time Savage Owner, picked up a 114 classic in .270 win...

medbill

New member and 1st time Savage Owner, picked up a 114 classic in .270 win...

I have been wanting one of these for a while and today I was visiting a local gunshop to post some flyers about an NRA class I'm giving I asked to see a Savage. Being NYS is in a gun buying frenzy there wasn't much left but synthetic stocked rifles and I said I am old fashioned and like my hunting rifles to have a nice piece of walnut on them. He said well I have one on the other end on our closeout/display rifle shelf and there it was. Very nice walnut stock, ebony forend cap and in .270 win. Shouldered it, tried everything out and then looked at the price. $470, I said to myself I don't remember ever seeing these for anywhere near that price so I jumped on it and went home with it. Now to squirrel some money away for mounts and a decent scope, I figure by the time that happens the ammo shortage will be catching up with .270 win...at least I hope it does.

From what I have read on this forum so far I will be very happy it. Seems like a real good bunch of guys in here and I have a feeling I will be asking myself why did I wait so long to try one of these.

Looking forward to reading more and learning lots. The ability to change out barrel's/calibers is very interesting.

Thanks and glad to be here,

Bill

I have a feeling I will be asking myself why did I wait so long to try one of these.
    I have a feeling you will also.

Four seventy is a good price. Building a stainless 6.5x55 right now using one of the American Classic walnut stocks. They are very nice stocks. As far as bases go I like the Ironsighter one piece base. They are $15 at midway and well worth the price. If you go that way be sure and get a ring set that has a front extended ring. Savage long actions really need that extended ring unless you go with a one piece picatinney.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/632...g-action-matte
    Last edited by wbm; 02-12-2013 at 09:54 AM.