Thread: Hey everyone, new member with a question

10FpLe1man

Hey everyone, new member with a question

hello everyone im new to the forum and an owner of only one savage rifle..hope to make it two soon with a hog hunter. But my current rifle is a savage 10fp le1 with the choate folding stock and the 20 inch heavy barrel. and as I have been browsing around the site i feel like im literally the only owner of this gun or something lol I cant really even find any info for it on the web or anything, but i love the gun and its extremely accurate for me. So what i was thinking is there probably isnt a better place to get info on my rifle than here so I was just wondering is there a reason i cant find much info on the gun? and what are all of you veteran savage owners opinions on the stock and the barrel being only 20 inches for longer range shooting?

The 20" barrel is usually found on tactical rifles used in more urban areas so that should not be a problem accuracy wise but the folding stock is not the first choice in long range shooting. But what the heck, load up some heavier bullets in the .308 and send them down range and see.

10FpLe1man
    Currently what Ive been using is the sierra gold medal match 168's or the black hills 168 red box, and both shoot consistently sub moa but ive never had a chance to shoot past 200 yds as i live in the wonderful anti gun state of ny. And now that you mention the urban area thing that makes sense with the folding stock and shorter barrel for mobility. so you suggest getting rid of the folding stock for long range? i have noticed a little play in the folder when Im pulling the rifle in for a shot sometimes but its never enough that i cant correct it. If getting rid of the folding stock is best what kind of aftermarket stock do you recommend that come ready to go with out any real modding or bedding to be done

Hooker
    I have the same rifle. 20 inch shoots Moa to 966. We can't quite get 1000. I can get 4 inches out there. Stays supersonic past 1000 at our elevation. I went with a Manners, but I also had it in a Bell and Carlson and it shot well.

10FpLe1man
    Thats awesome to know the gun is capable of that, I dont know I am though.. so for ranges of that distance i should get rid of that choate folder most likely then?

Quote Originally Posted by 10FpLe1man View Post
    Thats awesome to know the gun is capable of that, I dont know I am though.. so for ranges of that distance i should get rid of that choate folder most likely then?
    I wouldn't get rid of anything until you've got some experience at longer distances.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

ellobo
    A manners stock can cost the price of another rifle. Check out Boyds for stocks, laminated and walnut for under !00$

El Lobo

AdvenJack
    Manners, especially the T2-A are favorites of the founder of www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Hooker
    True about the new rifle. Looks great though.