Thread: Forster Press

Billy J

Forster Press

Currently have a RCBS rockchucker supreme press. I was thinking about getting the Forster press. I use the Redding competition neck sizer and seating dies. I hear good things about the Forster press, but was wondering if you guys are able to minimize run-out with this press. Looking at the picture, looks like the lockring is what is taking the pressure when the handle is pulled down. With the quick change aspect of the dies, looks like it would be harder to maintain correct neck tension when seating a bullet, and correct neck sizing. I have also been looking at Russ Haydons arbor press, and changing to Wilson dies. I really dont want to get away from the redding dies, because I don't think you can get much better run-out using the Wilson dies.

Thanks, BJ

Elkbane

Re: Forster Press

I just got mine and have not tried to neck size only with it.

To answer two of your questions:
    1) using this press will not affect neck tension. Neck tension is a function of the size of you die busing and/or sizing ball (if you use one). The way the press works is you replace your die lock ring with a Forster ring which is sized to fit into the slot in the die frame. This allows the die to "float" a little, but that float won't affect neck tension, per se. The OD of the neck will be the same size as what your current die/press throws off. But it may be more concentric, due to the float.
    2) I think the Redding competition dies have an internal sleeve which centers the case in the die so that the bullet is better aligned with the neck while seating (as does the Forster seating die). This will be unnaffected by use of this press, once you get it adjusted. and reset the lock ring. You will find that you'll have to recalibrate the micrometer top if you record settings for different seating depth/bullet combinations for this press - but you'd have to do that if you changed to any other press than the one you have.

I'm getting measurably better runout with the Forster press than with my RCBS. So far all I've seen is upside with no downside. Maybe others will comment.
    Elkbane

Tightgroups

Sorry, but I missed the calibers your reloading, but you would be vary happy with a Forester Co-ax press, everyone I know of that has one likes it. The die does float a bit to self aline, and so does the shell casing.
    I reload mostly 6BR and 22BR and like to keep a snug fit between the case and chamber for accuracy and long brass life, and have dies from most Mfg, but on BR cases, I use "Foresters neck bushing shoulder bump die", set to bump the shoulders back .0015 during ever neck sizing. And the brass last about 12 to 15 reloads before the primer pockets start to get loose.

I also have and like Redding dies, and on the BRs I use the Redding body only die about every 5 or 6 resizings, to do a partial body size when they get to fat.

I use a hand primer, but on the Co-Ax press, I ran a short 1/2" vinyl tube from the drop tube on the press, down under the bench and into an old empty power jug, it lasts for years before emptying it.

If you do get one, also get the short handle and the adapter for standard shell holders, and make sure you mount it level in both direction. You wont be sorry, and your brass will be better for it.

PS: Long time no see, hope all is well with you and yours.
    Mike.

Uncle Jack

I just wish that I had not waited so long in life to buy one.

uj

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack
    I just wish that I had not waited so long in life to buy one.

uj
    +1 the same here.

2recon

+2

Lee C.

BJ, I've got an rcbs rock press I use for my trim dies. And a K&M abor press an wilson dies I don't even use. After I got my forster co-ax press. I use only the jaws it comes with and after useing for some time now. I just leave it with the jaw used for the bigger cases even when I work on my 204 cases. And when I check for run out I can keep it down to .001 to .002 at the most. +1 for what Tightgroups said about the forster neck bushing shoulder bump dies. It would take about one second about thinking about getting a nether one. Thats how much I like mine.

Tightgroups

+-3 I think most Co-Ax owners think that, I got smart after only 2, my 3rd and last was a Co-Ax.
    Mike.

Billy J

Thanks for all the advice. Next question. I was warned that the Redding neck sizing and seater with the micrometers on top may not clear the yoke of the handle. Can anybody confirm this. They said Sinclair shows this as a side note.

Billy J

I just looked at the Sinclair site. It says that it will work with Redding Competition dies. Thanks for all advice.

BJ