Thread: I have a sporter/centerfeed and I need help!

Red face I have a sporter/centerfeed and I need help!

I put this this rifle together and made pillars,bedded it with marine tex.I forgot to leave room for the clip to hold the centerfeed magazine to the bootom of the stock.Is there a way to hold it in enough to stop it from poppoing up and causing jamming.I have thought about pinning it but that wont work unless someone has a better way to do it and make it look half way decent.I have tought about epoxying it in but if the spring breaks,I wouldnt be able to change it.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

The easiest way is to use a Dremel tool or small file and make an indentation for the clip to fit into. It isn't that difficult to do. I had a walnut American Classic stock that was for a long action blind stagger feed magazine. The long action I wanted to use on the stock had the blind center feed magazine with the clip. Since the stock had been bedded for the other type magazine, I used the Dremel and made a cut out for the clip. Then I wrapped the center feed magazine box with rubber tape until it fit snug in the stock. Works great.

Speedrat1
    wbm,

As often as the subject comes up it would be nice if you could either post pics or perhaps even a little help/conversion article. I'd like to think showing the position of the clip etc. would be very helpful.

Team Savage
    I throw away the L-clip when I do a CF blind magazine bedding job. I don't see how having the L-clip setting under the action attached to a spring loaded box does anything to foster a rifles accuracy potential. Most the blind magazine well in most aftermarket stocks are oversized in my experience. The way I stop the follower spring from pushing the magazine box out of position or up against the action/bolt body is as follows:

Get a tube of plumber's epoxy putty from the hardware store. Take the magazine box and tape it in the correct position on your action using a business card as a spacer between the bolt body and magazine lips. Mix 4 small balls of the epoxy putty and push one into each corner of the BM well. Put release agent on the metal corners of the magazine box. Attach the action to the stock and tighten the stock bolts to the desired torque. This will push the corners of the magazine box into the soft putty. Wait about 10 minutes and then remove the action and magazine box from the stock. Don't let the epoxy putty completely harden or it will take a dremel tool for the next step. Use a small blade to remove excess putty that was pushed to the inside of the magazine box and square up the edges/top for a neat apperance. Reattach the action to the stock and let the putty harden with magazine box in place. You're magazine box will now be held tightly in the proper position at the correct height for proper feeding. I use 2 small wood screws placed in the middle grove on each side of the CF magazine box and screwed into the bottom wood/plastic of the BM well to hold the magazine box firmly in place and keep the follower spring from pushing it up against the action/bolt. I've also used wood shims and velcro, but the wood screw work best.

Sorry, I've swithed out all my old Savage BM stocks to DBM stocks, so I can't take any pictures of the final results. But I've used this method on several Boyd's and Bell & Carslon stocks. It works for CF or SF stocks. The magazine box does not contact the action or bolt body at any point, feeds perfectly and gives you a stress free bedding job.
    Last edited by jpdown; 02-17-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Basic Member
    The simplest way I have found is to eliminate the tabs off the "L" bracket where it used to set on top of the pillar. Cut the top of the "L" bracket so it only has about 1/8" bend over from the bottom. After you bed with a pillar, use a dremel to make a small shelf for the shortened part of the bracket. This way, the "L" bracket still supports the magazine box and you get pillar contact on the receiver.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and I never expected that I would get advice from Fred,I know you are busier than heck and thank you also for your time.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedrat1 View Post
    wbm,

As often as the subject comes up it would be nice if you could either post pics or perhaps even a little help/conversion article. I'd like to think showing the position of the clip etc. would be very helpful.
    I posted a how to with pics on the old site but it disappeared with the software transition a few weeks ago.

Basic Member
    jpdowns suggestion has worked great on 2 rifles I have done
    Sharpshooters suggestion has also worked great and is the one I use if I have room in the magazine well for the clip