Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new mcgowen barrel will not break in...

Basic Member

Re: new mcgowen barrel will not break in...

I have had problems with Shilen on a couple of barrels. The thing about Shilen that I like is that the admitted there was a mistake and they expedited the repair/replacement. I have had many conversations with Wade Hull at Shilen. One barrel went back 3 times to get right and I still had to do a little sanding to make it work (I just didn't want to wait another couple of weeks). However, each time I spoke with Wade or others at Shilen - they keep their word. That is all I can expect. As far as SSS, I set on the list for over a year to get my first action T&T. For the money, it was well worth the cost and wait. They have T&T ever action I own. Gunsmiths are few and far between where I live. I have tried most of the local ones. It is common to drop and gun off and find out 3-6 months later it still hasn't been touched even on a simple repair. I don't know if they are just that busy or just don't care. I had a rifle built by Dave Tooley (Fall of Hame BR shooter and gunsmith). That build took well over a year once he had my action. Well worth the wait in my opinion. The waiting list for some of the top BR builders is 2-3 years.

The time part I can deal with. I just can't stand to be lied too. My grandpa taught be a saying that I live by "Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me". I rarely give a company a second chance unless there is not option in the matter. It is just the way I am. I have a brand new McGowen 223 barrel that I purchased from a forum member last year. I am about to sell or take it just because I am so put out with the service of McGowen and I need a large shank I need a std shank for my son an F/class rig. I can't tell you about their quality. I haven't put a bullet down range yet in one of their barrels.

There is a long story about the barrel that I purchased on clearance by the original buyer. It is the same. McGowen never admitted to fault and wouldn't repair the threads after 2 months (the thread were cut too short to headspace). What made me madder is that they gave my buddy a tracking number, but after 2 weeks they had still never shipped the barrel. More lies.....

My 2 cents, Tim

sinman

I get alot of mcgowen blanks in but I have had trouble get blanks I ordered. I have one 338 barrel I have been waiting about 3 months for or more.

358Hammer

I scratched McGowen off my list a long time ago because of integrity issues starting at the top(owner)!

I use to feel sorry for Dan and Jon ( Jon is no longer there). Jon's replacement knows less about guns and barrel making than my little finger. Fortunately I got out while I felt they made a good barrel.

I refuse to send a nickel to an organization that has an owner without integrity. That is why I went with benchmark barrels many months ago. That and Ron at Benchmark taught the McGowen boys a few tricks of the trade on how to make a good barrel.

This is just my personal opinion. I have never received a bad barrel from McGowen.

Neal

sinman

Ya Aaron makes me wonder some days. I do wish Jon was still there.

montana_native

My $0.02 on McGowan.

A 338 Edge barrel and a 300 WM barrel.

300 barrel purchased from Jim at NSS. Took a looooooong time to break-in. Like 60-70 shots or so. Now there is very little fouling and it shoots under 0.5 MOA.

338 Edge, pretty major communication issues and two missed deadlines. I stayed after them and was polite and they waived some charges and I got another barrel that shot under 0.5 MOA with much easier break-in.

I believe I'd own another one...purchased from someone that had the barrel sitting on the shelf. ;D

okie2

all of you having accuracy problems it may help you to look
    at this site and learn what OCW is.
    and ask some questions there.

http://practicalrifler.6.forumer.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12