Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shilen Actions - Using Savage Barrels

Basic Member

Shilen Actions - Using Savage Barrels

It has recently come to my attention that Shilens actions are savage compatible because they have the same shank diameter and use a barrel nut.

Link to Shilen website and action page:
    http://www.shilen.com/index.html
    http://www.shilen.com/pricesActions.html

A forum post I found:
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ctions-100009/

Has anyone here ever tried one of these actions?

As they are $950 I doubt very many people have tried them. Anyhow they look pretty sweet and would still allow you to switch barrels just like a savage/with savage barrels.

Thoughts? Opinions?

82boy
    The action is a Stiller Predator, made to Shilen's specifications. It is basicly a Remington 40 clone, with a Savage barrel tennon.

$950 isn't a bad deal. That's about the same as what I paid for my LH Stiller Predator. Wonder if it comes with a scope base?
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    $950 isn't a bad deal. That's about the same as what I paid for my LH Stiller Predator. Wonder if it comes with a scope base?
    I don't think they come with the scope base as they have their bases listed separately. But they are not very clear on that.

Here:

http://www.shilen.com/pricesServices.html

I guess if you think about buying 2 or 3 barrels per action $950 doesn't sound too bad. They have the same footprint as a remington 700 so finding a stock should be easy.
    If you look at this page they have more info on their actions and they actually talk about having a switch barrel action:
    http://www.shilen.com/productsCompleteRifles.html

Basic Member
    I am a couple hundred bucks from having the funds to get one order. Uses a remmy trigger. That means a jewel drops right in. M700 stocks. I am getting the DGV. I am a single shot guy. I already have a dozen barrels that will screw in it.

Tim

Basic Member
    Seems they have taken the best of 3 actions and put it in one. Savage floating bolt and barrel nut, remington parts compatibility and bolt, stiller action. Is there a downside? It's pricey but it's custom quality for hell sake.

tiny68: You better give us a pick heavy review after you get it.

derbs
    Never happy. Large shank 1.120" x 20tpi tenon threads would have opened choices such as WSM,Lapua,and Norma 300 Mag.

LRJammer
    I considered this action but after contacting them, they said they wouldnt sell me a bolt head if I decided to change to a caliber with a different bolt face diameter. Bighorn has the same floathing head feature and would sell me one, but they wanted a rediculous amount for it.

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by redman View Post
    Savage floating bolt and barrel nut, remington parts compatibility and bolt, stiller action. Is there a downside?
    They dont use a Savage bolt head, the bolt heads are made by Stiller. They are modeled after a Savage style.

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by derbs View Post
    Never happy. Large shank 1.120" x 20tpi tenon threads would have opened choices such as WSM,Lapua,and Norma 300 Mag.
    Derbs. WSM's are built with small shank threads on a regular basis. Everything Remington makes in wsm is small diameter and uses a 1 1/16-16 pitch thread which cuts deaper than a 1 1/16 20 pitch. Many other manufacturers are using something close to the 1 1/16 thread size as well. If you are concerned about barrel integrity just do a nut delete where the large diameter of the barrel, after the tenon(behing the lug) is 1.250 or larger. You could always have your smith recut to the 1 1/8-20 threads.
    Last edited by stangfish; 02-10-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy View Post
    They dont use a Savage bolt head, the bolt heads are made by Stiller. They are modeled after a Savage style.
    I think all the Predator bolts are made by PTG. I'd bet these are too. If they are, I wonder if you could get them directly from Kiff.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    Couldn't you possibly order a bolt head from stiller? Where shilen has stiller make these I would say that they don't carry much parts for them. They probably are nor trying to get you to buy a new action for each bolt head they just don't carry them. The bolt heads they do have are probably extras just in case there are a few warranty issues.

Basic Member
    Wade Hull told me that they would supply multiple bolt heads with the purchase. $65 each bolt head. They was when they were still pre-production. I was talked to wade a couple times as they were getting ready to release them. Life happened and I had to put the purchase on hold. The last time I checked it was 6-9 months wait time from date of deposit. I don't plan to have anything soon.

Tag

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    I think all the Predator bolts are made by PTG. I'd bet these are too. If they are, I wonder if you could get them directly from Kiff.
    No, the bolt heads are made by Stiller and not PT&G. (This information I have gotten form a higly creditable source.) Yes PT&G makes bolts for many aftermarket action makers including Stiller.

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy View Post
    No, the bolt heads are made by Stiller and not PT&G. (This information I have gotten form a higly creditable source.) Yes PT&G makes bolts for many aftermarket action makers including Stiller.
    It was just my assumption since I know my Predator bolt is a PTG unit, and these look identical except for the bolt head.

Basic Member
    If Criterion would chamber the 7mm SAUM in a small shank, I would be pretty excited. Also, if they gave more details on the bolt face and if they'll sell additional ones, I would be even more interested.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LRJammer View Post
    I considered this action but after contacting them, they said they wouldnt sell me a bolt head if I decided to change to a caliber with a different bolt face diameter. Bighorn has the same floathing head feature and would sell me one, but they wanted a rediculous amount for it.
    Same reason I didn't buy on from them last year. They weren't exactly friendly about it either.

LRJammer
    Quote Originally Posted by jc View Post
    Same reason I didn't buy on from them last year. They weren't exactly friendly about it either.
    They werent friendly with me about it either. I dont see the point in having the capability, but not giving your customers the opportunity to take advantage of it. Then, the way they reacted to the request was the final straw and decided to take my money elsewhere.

I just received a Shilen action in right bolt left port yesterday. I had them include there competition trigger 2-6 oz and the once piece scope base. The bill was 1200 shipped to my FFL. The scope base uses the larger 8-40 screw and is also pinned to the action front and back. It also comes with a pinned recoil lug.

Assembly was just as easy as doing a savage action. Removed my 6br barrel from my savage repeater action and screw it right on.

I love my savages but i wanted to get a lighter trigger pull and the Remington foot print really opens up the options for stocks and trigger.

Really a good deal by the time you pay for a target action, have it timed and trued change out the bolt handle and bolt body to tighten things up.

I asked Shilen about bolt heads and they sent me to PTG who sent me to Stiller who told me that would have to come through Shilen. Stiller also said that they recommend getting a complete bolt and not changing out the bolt heads as it will loosen tolerances if changed often. Not sure if i buy the last part, but the Shilen action does feel a lot tighter and more solid then the savage does.

Just my .02 from what I have experienced. Thought i would share my experience as i have seen quite a few people asking and no real first had experiences posted.

Basic Member
    Excellent review. They are still in the running for my next project.

jasonR
    I had a barrel action made by Shilen and received it earlier this year. When I was in discussions with them I wanted two bolts, for non-mag and mag. As mentioned above, they weren't happy with the idea of the changing the bolt head. There was going to be a very high price and a long delay if I got a second bolt, so I didn't go with that option.

The barreled action I had made is a 7mm STW and have since put together a rifle and run some factory ammo down range. I had to pack away reloading gear for the time being ...

I am pretty excited about this rifle and the concept. As expected it is first rate. The large magazine opening (3.95", as I recall), and side bolt release allow for this action to be used as a repeater for the long cartridges seen in 7mm STW. To do this with a Savage would have been more work than I wanted to do. The action didn't come with a base for a scope, although the website suggests otherwise. I orded a base before I realized what their website says.

I can't say that the people at Shilen are rude (and overall I'm a happy repeat customer), they just aren't ... warm and fuzzy.

I like their offering so much, I would use it again.

Basic Member
    Only a couple more remaining questions for me.

1. Does anyone know if the action comes with trigger hanging pins? And does it take the Pre-2006 Rem 700 style triggers or the newer style?

2. Who chambers small shank barrels in magnum calibers? Criterion wouldn't do a 7mm SAUM in a small shank, so that put my whole project on hold.

jasonR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackdriver View Post
    Only a couple more remaining questions for me.

1. Does anyone know if the action comes with trigger hanging pins? And does it take the Pre-2006 Rem 700 style triggers or the newer style?

2. Who chambers small shank barrels in magnum calibers? Criterion wouldn't do a 7mm SAUM in a small shank, so that put my whole project on hold.
    1. I had them install their trigger, so I don't know.
    2. Even less help on the second question.

1. I had them install one of there triggers also.
    2. I think any gunsmith can chamber you a barrel blank in 7saum. Cant imagine there being a problem as people chanber small shanks for 338 edge all the time. McGowan outlet has them in stock in the small shank also.

Will Criterion not chamber in that caliber or do they not have a reamer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast