Thread: First match....hard lesson

Basic Member

First match....hard lesson

Shot my first 500 meter F/TR match last week. I made a scope adjustment for the 5mph wind, then put my sighters at 0900 on the 10 ring.
    OK....hold 0300. 1st shot was a X !!!!! ****, I'm on !!!!! I continued to hammer the 10 ring with the occasional "X", but the wind caught me a few times pushing me into the 9 ring. I can live with that, I'm totally pumped at how I'm shooting. Then it happened......

In my excitement I must have cross fired onto the next target. The guy on target 5 hadn't even found the berm yet, much less the target. But all of a sudden he has an "X" and I have a miss on target 6 ??????? The scorers figured that I must have cross fired, not paying attention, scored me a big fat ZERO. I was devastated, but sucked it up and got back into the 10 ring.

I ended up with a 132/150 4X. If not for the STUPID mistake, I would have shot a 142 5X, which WOULD HAVE WON THE MATCH by 1 point and 3X. As it were, I finished 7th.

I'm not upset at missing the win, as I just enjoy being around these guys and shooting. But it does show how one little brain fart can cost you. I guess if that's all that went wrong in my first match, I'm doing pretty good. After all, I did shoot very well when I was aiming at the correct target :)

Edit to add: Thanks to kschilling for all his help in building my rifle, teaching me the ropes, and doing a great job running these matches. And all I did was buy him some wings and beer!
    Last edited by Texas Solo; 02-09-2013 at 10:30 PM.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

maclowry
    Good job.

Basic Member
    Good score. 308 I'm guessing. Which platform? Barrel? Bullet/load?

Basic Member
    Actually, it's a .223.
    Savage #10 action
    Shilen Select Match Grade, 28", 1/7
    Chote stock
    Rifle Basix trigger @ 13oz +/-
    Millet TRS-1 4-16x50

Hornady brass
    WSR primer
    25.0 Varget
    Berger 80gr VLD (kissing the lands)

Basic Member
    congrats on the score ... its the small things that eat you up i lost a 700yrd match becuase i was using my rifle to spot for the guy next to me(son) got him on didnt think about it lined up on the x and bang perfect center x shot on his target ended to loosing the match by 4 points with that zero. just remember what you did next time so it wont happen again

Basic Member
    Great shooting, Solo. Too bad on the brain fart. I was there and it was my first match also. I had a blast and am hooked! Ken and company did a great job with the match. I enjoyed the people, had fun, and learned a lot. I'll be back for sure.
    Randy

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdog52 View Post
    Great shooting, Solo. Too bad on the brain fart. I was there and it was my first match also. I had a blast and am hooked! Ken and company did a great job with the match. I enjoyed the people, had fun, and learned a lot. I'll be back for sure.
    Randy
    Thanks Randy. Indeed Ken & co. do a great job. I was very comfortable with the range commands....clear & repeated the same way every time. By shot #3 I knew what was coming next. I had hoped to practice some tomorrow (Tuesday) but it looks like rain, maybe Friday. If you're available weekdays and want to practice some, give a shout.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the invite, Solo. I would enjoy that. I will be out of pocket, though, for the next month due to work (won't even be able to make the March match). I hope to see you after that.
    Randy

Basic Member
    Where (town) are you guys shooting?

Basic Member
    CTSA in New Braunfels
    http://silhouette-texas.us/

Great shooting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
    Actually, it's a .223.
    Savage #10 action
    Shilen Select Match Grade, 28", 1/7
    Chote stock
    Rifle Basix trigger @ 13oz +/-
    Millet TRS-1 4-16x50

Hornady brass
    WSR primer
    25.0 Varget
    Berger 80gr VLD (kissing the lands)
    If I might ask, which Choate stock?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    Great shooting!!

If I might ask, which Choate stock?
    This one:

http://www.eabco.com/store/savage-ri...spacer-system/

Ha! I just ordered the same stock and it's on its way.

Do they limit it to true F/TR Rules out there? I am in Bulverde and wanting to get involved with these matches, but the only thing I have in 223 are AR's, with nothing in 308. One of my AR's is a 24" heavy barrel gun that I built to be a 300 to 600 yard gun. I'm in the process of building a 6.5 Creedmoor and was hoping to able to shoot it out there in these matches. I didn't realize that they were F/TR matches.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoalwater View Post
    Do they limit it to true F/TR Rules out there? I am in Bulverde and wanting to get involved with these matches, but the only thing I have in 223 are AR's, with nothing in 308. One of my AR's is a 24" heavy barrel gun that I built to be a 300 to 600 yard gun. I'm in the process of building a 6.5 Creedmoor and was hoping to able to shoot it out there in these matches. I didn't realize that they were F/TR matches.
    There's F Class, and there's F/TR. Both classes are shot each month, so you're good to go with either rifle. Shoot the AR in F/TR and the 6.5 in F Open. Check the link in reply #10

Yep, ARs are good to go. I was out there last year (Sept I think) with a buddy and we both had ARs. I'm shooting 80gr Nosler competitions from mine. They are too long to fit in the mag so Im single loading. I think F/TR rules state you have to single load anyway.

I hope to get back out there soon, just having trouble making time.

That1guy
    Good job! I crossfired in my first two matches.. it wasnt fun, but a good learning lesson.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Team Savage
    Hey Guys!!! Thanks for the support on the match. The F Class Matches have been growing in New Braunfels, TX.

Yes, AR platforms in .223 and .308 are allowed to shoot in F T/R category. We have them all the time. If anyone needs any info, feel free to contact me.

Our next match will be on 6 April 2013.
    MSG, US Army (R)/NRA F Class Match Director/NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    "The Nut behind the Butt is Responsible for the flight of the Bullet!"