Thread: First match....hard lesson

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

First match....hard lesson

Shot my first 500 meter F/TR match last week. I made a scope adjustment for the 5mph wind, then put my sighters at 0900 on the 10 ring.
    OK....hold 0300. 1st shot was a X !!!!! ****, I'm on !!!!! I continued to hammer the 10 ring with the occasional "X", but the wind caught me a few times pushing me into the 9 ring. I can live with that, I'm totally pumped at how I'm shooting. Then it happened......

In my excitement I must have cross fired onto the next target. The guy on target 5 hadn't even found the berm yet, much less the target. But all of a sudden he has an "X" and I have a miss on target 6 ??????? The scorers figured that I must have cross fired, not paying attention, scored me a big fat ZERO. I was devastated, but sucked it up and got back into the 10 ring.

I ended up with a 132/150 4X. If not for the STUPID mistake, I would have shot a 142 5X, which WOULD HAVE WON THE MATCH by 1 point and 3X. As it were, I finished 7th.

I'm not upset at missing the win, as I just enjoy being around these guys and shooting. But it does show how one little brain fart can cost you. I guess if that's all that went wrong in my first match, I'm doing pretty good. After all, I did shoot very well when I was aiming at the correct target :)

Edit to add: Thanks to kschilling for all his help in building my rifle, teaching me the ropes, and doing a great job running these matches. And all I did was buy him some wings and beer!
    Last edited by Texas Solo; 02-09-2013 at 10:30 PM.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]