Thread: Savage 111 Laminate Stock

eaterry1

Savage 111 Laminate Stock

Good afternoon everyone,

I just thought I'd post up a couple pictures in case anyone else had the same interest as me. Basically I purchased the Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP package a few months ago and I wanted to upgrade to a thumb hole laminate stock. Unfortunately, I had several issues working against me. I'm left handed, I purchased a left action rifle, and I had the current trigger guard bolt release with a detachable mag. Here are a couple pics of the gun after I finished fitting it into a Boyd's feather weight thumb-hole, which they are now making left hand and left action luckily. The only major fitting required was getting the trigger guard to work, since it is designed for the older style. Overall I am happy with their quality, and the price beats out many of the more custom options out there.

The only other issue with the stock was that it is designed for a blind mag, as everyone is aware though, simply removing the magazine base allows you to install it as a blind mag.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3zpiyfqu2w...2011.53.57.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwupxb8p58...2011.53.26.jpg

ellobo
    That is one fine looking stock. Thats why I endorse Boyds. Great stocks at little money.

El Lobo

thomae
    eaterry1: Please take a look at this.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...eman-can-do-it!

mutwagn
    Thank you for posting this.
    That is a good looking gun you have there.
    I am also left handed, and have been looking at these stocks hard lately.
    Does the trophy hunter you bought have a sporter taper barrel or a magnum taper?
    While I will be getting one for a model 10/11, the barrel will be closer to, if not slightly larger than a magnum taper.
    I think I am going to have to try one now, and get out the sandpaper and a dowel rod to fit it a little bit if needed.
    Thanks again, Andy

eaterry1
    Mine just has the standard 22" sporter barrel on it. The biggest pain I had is getting the trigger guard assembly seated just right since it's plastic. If it has slightly uneven pressure on it then the bolt release will stick. I hope someone eventually makes a metal trigger guard with the bolt release cut out. Other than that I'm happy.

Thanks for the link on pictures thomae.

brasse
    Savage makes the trigger guard assembly with bolt release in both blued and stainless. I thought I would be getting that when I ordered my model 16 Trophy Hnter in 6.5 Creedmoor. But no, it and the magazine base was plastic.

I was hoping to purchase the plastic trigger guard and magazine base because it it 8 ounces lighter then the metal ones. Got what I wanted. I would prefer the 8 ounces be at the butpad area, not the trigger guard.

You know March 2013 they will be making the thumbhole with a DBM.

eaterry1
    I didn't realize that Savage made the trigger guard assemble in metal with the bolt release. Do you know of any websites that stock it, or is the only way to just give Savage a call and order it from their parts department? Also, I assume it is the exact same dimensions of the plastic one?

I realize Boyd's is making a thumb hole for the DBM in March, but unfortunately they said that they had no plans in manufacturing a left-hand and left-action model any time soon. I made the foolish choice of buying a left action gun, it limits my options even more than just needing a left hand thumb hole.

brasse
    Look at the model 16/116 Bear Hunter, latest Gun World shows the stainless trigger and magazine bottom.