Thread: Fitted versus Drop-in Barrel Accuracy???

jrmy_1

Fitted versus Drop-in Barrel Accuracy???

I'm just curious if these is much of an accuracy difference between a custom fitted and a drop-in savage barrel? I was reading that Barlein barrels won't make drop-ins because of the tolerances in the threads of the barrels. Would slightly loose threads add any play in the system or is there another locking mechanism involved? I don't own a savage, yet, but will in a couple days.

I was originally going to go with a drop-in, but now I'm thinking I might order a blank and have a barrel custom fitted. This will be for F class competitions.

Re: Fitted versus Drop-in Barrel Accuracy???

On a floating bolt head system like Savage and Marlin, you'd be hard pressed to see a difference in accuracy.

I don't think there is any advantage to a fitted barrel, other than putting money in your gunsmiths pocket. ;D
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Lefty Savage

What are F Class competitions? I've out of shooting for a while but getting back into it....

Lefty Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Savage
    What are F Class competitions? I've out of shooting for a while but getting back into it....
    nevermind, I looked it up and I'm interested in participating when my rifle is done. Hopefully somewhere close.

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by say what
    BS- proper cut threads are to written blueprint specification. If they do not think the have any machinists that can cut a thread to written specs I would be running out of there so fast. Find some one else who can.
    ....true....but every lathe is different, therefore, every set of threads is different....might only be minutely, but they are different.

jrmy_1

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    Quote Originally Posted by say what
    BS- proper cut threads are to written blueprint specification. If they do not think the have any machinists that can cut a thread to written specs I would be running out of there so fast. Find some one else who can.
    ....true....but every lathe is different, therefore, every set of threads is different....might only be minutely, but they are different.
    that's what I was thinking. the receiver threads of a factory receiver are set to some blueprint tolerance, just as the barrel bores and barrel threads. A drop-in aftermarket barrel will need to err on the side that will allow the barrel to fit ALL receivers otherwise they will have people returning them when they can't get them to fit their reciever threads, at least that is what I'm thinking. How does this affect the accuracy of these rifles, if it affects accuracy, is what concerns me.

Basic Member

screw it on and shoot it? if you can tell let me know.

Titandriver

Here's a screwed on barrel and the results:
    [img width=244 height=450]http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz326/TitandriverRR/IMG_0334.jpg[/img]

LongArm

Quote Originally Posted by Titandriver
    Here's a screwed on barrel and the results:
    [img width=244 height=450]http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz326/TitandriverRR/IMG_0334.jpg[/img]
    what barrel company was that?

Titandriver

LongArm --- it's a McGowen, 28 inch bull. Here's the rest of the groups I shot that day.

[img width=600 height=309]http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz326/TitandriverRR/IMG_0333.jpg[/img]

Titandriver,

Just imagine how good the groups would be if those threads were cut with a laser guided, nuclear powered lathe operated by Jesus himself. ;D

Now for my real question. Why didn't you submit the groups for the November email match?
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Titandriver

GG -- Jesus *DID* cut those threads!!! :D :D :D

Actually, I was not aware of any contests! Am now I suppose. Thanks for the heads-up!