Thread: Looking for Savage but don't know the right model #

stater61

Looking for Savage but don't know the right model #

Hello all, I'm new here and would like to find a rifle that I saw in some of the local stores a while back but didn't have the money then. > It's a savage with a grey stock, heavy stainless fluted barrel (I think it was tapered, not sure though), oversize bolt handle. It was somewhere in the $600-$650 range. I have looked and called everywhere I can think of and no one has them or seems to recall a model #.

If that rifle is not offered any more what would be the next closest one to it (12fv)? I have heard conflicting statements that savage only uses long actions and different size mag boxes. And others have said that there is a short and long action. I want to shoot berger vld's so I thought the long action would be better. Any replies or suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

JH

82boy

Re: Looking for Savage but don't know the right model #

Welcome to the site.

The gun you may be thinking of was a couple of years ago, there was a few special run Savages that was offered by one of the Big retailers, (Gander mountain, dicks, etc.) that matches the description you have described.

They was numbered something like a 12bvth, the closes thing to it would be a 12bvss, or a 12vlp.
    Yes there is a long and a short action offered in Savages, in factory guns, short action calibers are built on short actions,( 204, 223, 22/250, 243, 308, 7mm08, etc) and long action calibers are built on long actions, ( 25/06, 30/06, 7mm mag, etc) you can not pick unless you build your own.

By looking at your post I am guessing you are wanting a 308, I don't think the special run gun aforementioned came in the caliber, only in 204 ruger, 223, and 22/250. The vlp does not come in 308, and I am not sure the BVSS does anymore.

stater61

82boy thanks for clearing up alot of my confusion. I actually wanted a 300wsm to replace a remington I have in 300wsm. The mag box is just too short for the 175 or larger vld's, even with the wyatt box i installed. The Savages that I was speaking of earlier came in 300wsm plus other calibers that I don't remember.

I gather the best thing to do is get a long action and then rebarrel it. Thanks again JH

1Shot

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    Welcome to the site.
    The vlp does not come in 308, and I am not sure the BVSS does anymore.
    ...Yes, she does...If you can still find the older VLP check on SAG#18152....or the New VLP with a DBM SAG#18470...The BVSS is getting phased out..It's only available in .223,-.22-250.... :-[..

Basic Member

Starter61 I think the rifle you are talking about was built for Allsports a distributor. It had the same stock as the Stevens but had a fluted varmint barrel. and I cant remember if it had a DBM or a hinged floor plate(but it was one or the other). There are still some available at Fishermen’s Marine in Portland OR. I was in the other day and saw a 300wsm and some long actions also.

stater61

Thanks,JC
    I live in NM, so that may be a little difficult not terrible though. I'm starting to think long action though. A long action doesn't come to mind for a wsm, but I already have so much brass, dies,etc. for the short I don't really want to switch to a 300win. Do you happen to know the what the length is on a savage short action mag box. I guessI should do a search for that#
    Thanks for your replies guys. JH

Basic Member

My centerfeed DM box for my 300wsm is 3.00". I would go long action if you are going to shoot anything heavier than 165s.

stater61

Hey, JC I just came in. I had time to make one stand to call coyotes this evening, no coyotes, but I did get a fox. My 257 Wby. does make a mess of them. I just won a bid on a stevens 200 in 22-250 with a rifle basix trigger and only 2 boxes of ammo ran through it this afternoon. What a great day. Anyway I really, realy appreciate you taking the time and effort to measure that for me. I think you have the right idea on a long action. I ordered some 300wsm ammo from Best of the West because they use Berger vld's (175's) and the col. is somehere around 3.047 or 3.147 I don't remember.

Cycler

I have two short action Savage, an old 110 in .243 with a blind staggered magazine and a brand new 16 in 7mm-08 with the center feed mag and hinged floorplate. In both cases the stated maximum COL is 2.85".

stater61

Cycler I appreciate that info. I'm new to the tecnicalities of the savages. Somewhere on this sight I thought I read that 3 digit model numbers were long actions. I may have been mistaken, but I'd like to learn more so as not to buy a short action mistakingly.
    JH

Basic Member

Savage only used to have one size action the 110 and it was long no mater the chambering. But they still had a shorter mag box on the shorter cartridges. Then they came out with short 10.

stater61

Thanks JC, That makes more sense to me now. I think I'll look for a 3 digit rifle or action.
    JH

Creeping Death

Quote Originally Posted by stater61
    Hello all, I'm new here and would like to find a rifle that I saw in some of the local stores a while back but didn't have the money then. > It's a savage with a grey stock, heavy stainless fluted barrel (I think it was tapered, not sure though), oversize bolt handle. It was somewhere in the $600-$650 range. I have looked and called everywhere I can think of and no one has them or seems to recall a model #.

If that rifle is not offered any more what would be the next closest one to it (12fv)? I have heard conflicting statements that savage only uses long actions and different size mag boxes. And others have said that there is a short and long action. I want to shoot berger vld's so I thought the long action would be better. Any replies or suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

JH

The rifle you are talking about is the model 16/116 BGH. Have one in a .243 in the safe. Bought mine a couple years ago when I was waiting for a model 10 predator that I couldn't get. The BGH had all the features of the Predator but in stainless/fluted. The stock is NOT the same that is on the Stevens factory model but close. The medium contour 22" barrel is awesome. I can get consistant sub MOA with 100gr. gamekings with 4831. If you can find one buy it! Good luck. CD