Thread: Which TARGET STYLE LA should I be looking for?

Basic Member

Which TARGET STYLE LA should I be looking for?

Looking to build my own version of this rifle...pictured is the 110 FCP HS in .338LM...mine would be a braked 300WM or possibly a 30-06...I want to run really long heavy VLD bullets but do not want to step up to 338LM

Which model number should I be looking for as a donor...it must be a long action target style, small port action...I am almost positive Savage made a LA target gun at some point...anyone?

Thanks

Capt Beach

Basic Member
    OR DO I JUST NEED TO PONY UP AND BUY THE 110FCP HS and rebarrel it?

The only long target actions are the 338 Lapua actions, or the 300win actions on the 110FCP or 110BA.

None will make cheap donors.

If its chambered in what you want why would you rebarrel it?
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

palerider338
    You might find the 111 Long Range Hunter in 338LM a little cheaper than the 110FCP or 110BA Same action but cheaper stock. The other option would be a 112BVSS or FVSS as a donor. I just found a never fired one in 30-06.

112 actions are the same as regular 116 actions, just with varmint barrels.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    The 110 FCP HS 338LM action and the 110 BA 338LM action ARE NOT THE SAME AS THE 300WM and .308 versions...the 308 and 300WM are standard Savage 10/110 style actions...the 110 FCP HS and BA in 338LM is a long action target style, right bolt, right port, small port action...

So savage never made a true LA target action?

The 300win versions of the FCP and the BA are just small shank version of the 338 actions. Target style-RBRP-small port.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    The 300win versions of the FCP and the BA are just small shank version of the 338 actions. Target style-RBRP-small port.
    NOPE...they are standard round back small shank 10/110 accutrigger actions,

308 10 FCP HS Standard 10 Round Back SA

300WM FCP HS Standard 110 Round Back LA

338LM FCP HS TARGET STYLE, ROUNDED PORT, SMALL PORT LA
    Last edited by CAPTBEACH; 02-05-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Basic Member
    But I did find out the 111 LRH in 338 shares an action with the 110 FCP HS and 110 BA in 338LM...thats a start...

Well, now you know that the action you want is the ones on the 338's. Now you just need to decide whether its worth it for you to buy the complete gun and rebarrel it. I think it would be hard to find just that action alone.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

palerider338
    I defer to my learned colleague ( Geargrinder) on that one. However, the 116 in 338 Win Mag packs some serious recoil too. A strong steel rail should mitigate the lack of meat on that receiver IMHO compared to the 11LRH or 110FCP or 110 BA chambered for 338 Lapua Mag.

Hmmm...interesting. The 300win FCP that I handled at a local store had the same action as the Lapua. Small target port. Must have been an odd ball.

Quote Originally Posted by palerider338 View Post
    I defer to my learned colleague ( Geargrinder) on that one. However, the 116 in 338 Win Mag packs some serious recoil too. A strong steel rail should mitigate the lack of meat on that receiver IMHO compared to the 11LRH or 110FCP or 110 BA chambered for 338 Lapua Mag.
    I've hung a huge 338 Edge barrel off a regular 110 action and an aluminum rail and had no problems that I could detect. It shot so well it was boring.

So IMHO, the only advantage one gains from using the target style action and a steel rail is peace of mind. Nothing likely to be measured in reality.

We have only had the .338 LM in the FCP but all three in the BA series and they all had a Target Action. You will have to talk to Fred about the botl head as the LM head is different and I am not sure if a standard magnum head will work correctly.
    More shooting, less typing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    We have only had the .338 LM in the FCP but all three in the BA series and they all had a Target Action. You will have to talk to Fred about the botl head as the LM head is different and I am not sure if a standard magnum head will work correctly.
    I've put a LM bolt head on a regular long action bolt. It seems to be the same, no problems with cycling or with the firing pin (proper protrusion). I wasn't able to fire it since I don't have a barrel chambered in anything that needs it.

I know the lugs on the LM are larger but It would be nice to know if they were interchangeable. Thought about buying the FCP and rebarreling to to an Edge.
    More shooting, less typing.

JCalhoun
    CAPTBEACH,

What do you plan on using the rifle for?

NRA does not allow brakes in competitions.