Thread: Could use a little optics and accessories help...

IronWalnutz

Could use a little optics and accessories help...

While not being new to shooting, I am new to bolt guns and shooting at ranges past 100 yards. After shooting my brothers Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine at 200 yards I quickly realized my AR and AK while fun, weren't nearly as satisfying. Long story short I found a Savage Model 10 FLCP-K .308 at my LGS last week and put a deposit on it. I'll be picking it up this Wednesday and would like to have a good idea of what optics set up I want going in. My current range allows for 100-200 yards although, I should be going through orientation at a new range in March that will allow me to stretch out to 500. That' allot for my neck of the woods.

What I'm looking for is advice and suggestions. I want to spend $200-$300 on the scope and understand Nikon, Bushnell and Redfield have good options in this range. I'm leaning towards 4-12x40? I would also like advice on what base and rings you suggest. This is primarily a target gun for me and while I don't want to cheap out, I am also not ready to drop Leupold money on a scope setup yet. I was planning to head to Cabela's later this week but, figured I would ask the experts first since I think Opticsplanet and cheaperthandirt may have better prices. I appreciate any advice you give and look forward to learning more as I spend time here.

308law
    This is a really good scope for the money and would give you a little more magnification for those longer shots. I don't like high magnification scopes for big game hunting but for target work or varmint hunting they are great.
    http://cameralandny1.reachlocal.net/...exviper6-20x44

IronWalnutz
    Thanks the reply. Vortex was one of the brands my brother told me to check out. This looks like a very good option. I had the same thought process magnification wise but, my 30-30 is my primary hunting rifle, so I may decide to go the higher mag route. Thanks.

canadaman30
    Bushnell Legend ultra hd 4.5-14x44, Burris XTB 2 piece bases, Leupold PRW rings will serve you well. Hard to beat a buy back if your not happy warranty on the scope.

Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    Bushnell Legend ultra hd 4.5-14x44, Burris XTB 2 piece bases, Leupold PRW rings will serve you well. Hard to beat a buy back if your not happy warranty on the scope.
    I am interested in this scope as well. Do you have personal experience with this scope?

Basic Member
    I have a Bushnell legend 4-12x40ao and it has excellent glass. Every bit as clear and bright as my elites