Thread: Savage Actions: LRP, Target, and Varmint?

Basic Member

Savage Actions: LRP, Target, and Varmint?

I am a little confused over what actions are being offered currently by savage. I realize this may have been discussed in another thread but I could not find it. Thought there would be something in the "savage faqs" section but no.

I am very familiar with the standard short and long actions that are offered by savage.

I guess what I want to know is what else is currently being offered by savage and can you purchase these actions separate? I have seen a few of these actions for sale but I am confused by what configurations are available or are currently in production by savage:

Target action: long/short or both? single shot/repeater or both? Some have the left side port and some have rightside port?

LRP: Difference between this and the target action? Is this just a repeater target action? Where can you buy these? Small shank/Large shank?

Varmint: Difference between this and the LRP, Target, and standard?

It would be nice if Jim at Northland could supply detailed pics of the actions he gets so there is no confusion! (No I am not bashing Jim I am just saying it would make sense and there may be more time for him to sell things rather than try to explain it on the phone)

308law
    Target actions are single shot short action with the" target Accu-triggger".
    Varmint actions are repeaters with the "varmint Accu-trigger". I think currently they are all short action, but has not always been that way.
    LRP is a Standard action with a "target Accu-trigger" with a HS Precision stock and a DM.
    Hunting models have the same action as the varmint except they have the "standard Accu-trigger".
    Hope this helps

308law
    Target actions can be had in right bolt right port, right bolt left port, and right bolt dual port.

I think Target and LRP actions are all large shank.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

That1guy
    Quote Originally Posted by 308law View Post
    Target actions are single shot short action with the" target Accu-triggger".
    Varmint actions are repeaters with the "varmint Accu-trigger". I think currently they are all short action, but has not always been that way.
    LRP is a Standard action with a "target Accu-trigger" with a HS Precision stock and a DM.
    Hunting models have the same action as the varmint except they have the "standard Accu-trigger".
    Hope this helps
    Just to be clear, the LRP is a repeater large shank Target action, with Target Accutrigger. Not a standard short action.

Most are the 4.4 short action, the dual ports are a different spacing. 3.4? I think.
    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    How can one buy an lrp action without buying a complete rifle?

That1guy
    Check the dealer section, Northland Shooters may have some.

You can't.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    You can't.
    MrFurious: Why not?

That's what I thought. Somebody needs to get on the phone with savage and let them know that they could sell a bazzillion of the lrp actions if they sold them separate.

Basic Member
    Weren't there some large shank long action repeaters built for the big magnums?

Quote Originally Posted by redman View Post
    MrFurious: Why not?

That's what I thought. Somebody needs to get on the phone with savage and let them know that they could sell a bazzillion of the lrp actions if they sold them separate.
    Right this moment, they do not sell a bazillion rifles AND actions combined - so I doubt very much that would come true (albiet, I do understand your enthusiasim).

Now... IF I were Savage (and obviously I'm not), I would NOT sell the LRP action sans remaining rifle parts. [1] I already have a road to the PTA... [2] The price point would not be competitive and would eat into the PTA sales (so again - why do that)... [3] I would end up losing my production scale on the LRP and miss out on the sales where people can't/won't/don/t want to build a rifle.

Just doesn't make any sense (to me) if I look at it as a business decission.
    Last edited by jhelmuth; 02-06-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: sp
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Basic Member
    Right this moment, they do not sell a bazillion rifles AND actions combined - so I doubt very much that would come true (albiet, I do understand your enthusiasim).

Now... IF I were Savage (and obviously I'm not), I would NOT sell the LRP action sans remaining rifle parts. [1] I already have a road to the PTA... [2] The price point would not be competitive and would eat into the PTA sales (so again - why do that)... [3] I would end up losing my production scale on the LRP and miss out on the sales where people can't/won't/don/t want to build a rifle.

Just doesn't make any sense (to me) if I look at it as a business decission.

I disagree. Building a rifle and selling it can and does make them money but that doesn't mean that that's the only way for a rifle company to make money. I would argue that a fair amount of money goes into actually assembling the completed rifle. That is attaching and headspacing the barrel, attaching the stock, test firing etc. There is money saved by just selling the parts separate which offsets the profits made from selling a complete rifle.

I see a trend going towards modular rifles. I think savage should embrace those of us who choose their rifles because of their modular design. If it weren't for the barrel nut there's a good chance I would be shooting a remington or something else.

Hmmm... I have not noticed that trend in the bolt action rifle market. I think Savage is already way ahead of the competition. Maybe you can enlighten me on this trend? Who are these trend seters and which models?

Sure... I know neither of us work for Savage nor do I feel either of us are right or wrong on this. Savage will make their own calls on this. I just "feel" like I undrstand "why" they would choose to not do it the way you'd like...

Quote Originally Posted by redman View Post
    I disagree. Building a rifle and selling it can and does make them money but that doesn't mean that that's the only way for a rifle company to make money. I would argue that a fair amount of money goes into actually assembling the completed rifle. That is attaching and headspacing the barrel, attaching the stock, test firing etc. There is money saved by just selling the parts separate which offsets the profits made from selling a complete rifle.

I see a trend going towards modular rifles. I think savage should embrace those of us who choose their rifles because of their modular design. If it weren't for the barrel nut there's a good chance I would be shooting a remington or something else.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhelmuth View Post
    Hmmm... I have not noticed that trend in the bolt action rifle market. I think Savage is already way ahead of the competition. Maybe you can enlighten me on this trend? Who are these trend seters and which models?
    Everyone here on this site that builds off the savage action is proof enough. There are a number of barrel makers that offer prefit savage and remington barrels and growing. For those of us that like accuracy and precision the lrp is like the perfect economy grade action.

Yes savage is ahead of the competition but inadvertently. You don't find it annoying that you have to buy a complete rifle just to get an action?

I really don't think you even understand what I am talking about.

Basic Member
    Sure... I know neither of us work for Savage nor do I feel either of us are right or wrong on this. Savage will make their own calls on this. I just "feel" like I undrstand "why" they would choose to not do it the way you'd like...
    Maybe you can elaborate on your "why" as I really didn't understand what your point was. How would selling actions take away from their rifle sales?

Why buy a whole rifle if I can just buy the parts I want?

That1guy
    Not many people make an off the shelf barrel for a large shank action that isnt a full bull. Sure you could probably order one, and Russell from Rock Creek can make you one, but there are many more options for the small shank.

Most times, a person would be best served with a small shank, and a good after market trigger.

Much more options for small shank.

Signed - a guy who has 2 LRP actions, but am bummed at the large shank barrel options available without having to wait.

Basic Member
    Just to jump in here, TC has their newer Dimension rifle, in addition to the long running Encore line.

I don't see any real reason to sell just the LRP action. Recently a friend asked me to help him put together his "ultimate target/hunting" gun in either 6.5 CM or 260 Rem. As we went down the list of components, the price quickly went up. Stainless action, Premium quality barrel, quality trigger, strong stock, and a DBM. For us to build a gun to his specs, using a SS staggered feed action I have sitting here, it would have cost right around $900. Or, he could just go out and buy a factory LRP and start shooting today.

I'm pretty well convinced that you couldn't build an LRP for the realistic street price of $950. Savage would charge at least $500 for the action alone. Throw on an HS Precision stock and a quality barrel and you'll be right around $1000. If you want an LRP action, the best thing to do is just go buy an LRP in a highly desirable caliber. Pull the barrel and sell it for $200, then sell the stock for $225, and the bottom metal for $50. By the time you're done, you got an LRP action for about $500.

Andrew
    Last edited by yorketransport; 02-09-2013 at 12:44 PM.