Thread: Need help with a scope base issue.

snowshoes

Need help with a scope base issue.

So my brother bought a used gun the other day. The barrel is marked as a Savage 110. I wanted the action so we removed the scope that came with it. We found that the scope bases have no screws and must be soldered or welded on some how. Am i right to assume this? I have never seen bases like this. Did any models come stock like this? how can i remove the bases?

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by snowshoes View Post
    So my brother bought a used gun the other day. The barrel is marked as a Savage 110. I wanted the action so we removed the scope that came with it. We found that the scope bases have no screws and must be soldered or welded on some how. Am i right to assume this? I have never seen bases like this. Did any models come stock like this? how can i remove the bases?
    Yes, I have a 110 built in 1989 that has integral bases. They are on there permanently. They may be silver soldered, but some, I was told, were machined.

If you can't find a scope that is long enough to work with them you might want to sell and buy an action without integral scope mounts.

Sorry, for I know that is not what you wanted to hear.

1ShotKing
    There is other ways around finding a scope that is long enough. One option is to get extension rings which attach to the existing bases and basically one ring is offset so you gain 3/4 of an inch or so of mounting room. Weaver also makes a set that includes two extension rings so you gain twice as much. Another option you have is to get picatinny risers. You can get them one piece or two piece. Basically they have multiple mounting slots so you can get your rings situated where they should be. It will also raise your mounting height about a half inch depending on the type you go with. This is not a huge deal because then you just need lower rings compared to standard height bases. If it was me I'd go with the picatinny risers because of better ring options. Search midway USA part numbers 313161 for the risers and 390915 for the extension rings so you can see what I'm talking about, it'll probably make more sense to you then.

1ShotKing

snowshoes
    Thanks for the replies. I wanted to add a 20 moa base but i can just get rings to compensate for the difference. The action is round so i thought it was newer. its sn is really low in the F series so it must be an 89 or early 90's.