Thread: Savage 340 and weaver scope mount

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    drphilwv

Savage 340 and weaver scope mount

This is the 340D 222 I recently traded for. I found a side - scope mount and rings and mounted a 3x9x50mm cheapie Tasco. I notice that it is not centered over the bore but slightly to the right of the bore. The bolt handle on full throw upward will touch the rear scope bell. Well crap!

I don't see any way to adjust this so that it is centered. I realize it's not the end of the world to have some offset but as the handle bumps the scope it's far from ideal.

Any advice? Anyone want a scope mount? Happy to trade :)

Phil

outback andy
    Yea, I never saw anything so poorly made as the weaver side mount, I couldn,t stand looking at it so off center myself thats why I purchased the
    B-square for my 340-c .222, and I have a 3-9X40mm Nikon on it with plenty of room for a bigger scope if i want...and I see Amazon is selling one
    for the 340 under the name of Sun Optics for $29.67 I,m guessing its the same thing.
    Last edited by outback andy; 02-02-2013 at 12:08 AM.

The Old Coach
    I've got the stamped steel Weaver mount on my .222 - using a Weaver K6 scope - it's not off center and there is no interference with the bolt handle. Just bought another of the same mount, too. New 340 project brewin'. . . .

jibben
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
    I've got the stamped steel Weaver mount on my .222 - using a Weaver K6 scope - it's not off center and there is no interference with the bolt handle. .
    Did the same thing. LOL looked cheap. but worked fine and gave the rifle a finished look from the era it came from.

The Old Coach
    Nothing fundamentally wrong with stamped parts if they're done right. The modern Savage bolt-guns are full of 'em.

A Pause for the COZ
    I ended up going with the Weaver center mount scope mount. Matched with a Bushnell banner 1-4 power. Its a great match.
    Unfortunately mine was not predrilled for a scope mount, but it seems most of the old timer Gun smiths are very familiar with the 340's

Was at the gun show yesterday and there were 5 of them around. Almost walked out with a 222 with a scope, but mama looked at me...and grrrrr not taking her to gun shows any more.

Last edited by A Pause for the COZ; 02-25-2013 at 10:35 AM.

outback andy
    Yea, the B-square mount is a nice update for my rifle..I see Amazon now sales the B-Square also
    and they have a nice photo of it.
    Last edited by outback andy; 02-26-2013 at 08:01 PM.