Thread: I'm so friggin' confused now - .308 win. Savage 99

schools001

I'm so friggin' confused now - .308 win. Savage 99

Well, here's what we have going on: I inherited my grandfathers Savage 99(?) 308 winchester. Now, I am not saying this is a bad rifle, but it is just NOT for me (this makes my fourth rifle in .308 and I just don't need it), so I've been looking to sell it. The only problem is gun shop out there thinks they are an expert and cannot give me a straight answer as to exactly what I have. Several of the dealers told me it was a 99f, two told me it was a 99e and two others told me I have an 99EG ( most likely from what I looked up so far.). It is, like a said, a Savage 99 chambered in .308 winchester. The serial 949XXX told me it's a later 1950's model, and I believe the code on the lever is a "J" which puts it at 1958 (?). My only problem is that none of the 99e's that I have seen look like this one. It has the "Pistol grip" butt stock with fine checkering, foregrip is fine checkered with the smaller schnoble, and it is the rotary style reciever. It has the original sling from the factory and it was factory drilled for a scope (this was how it was ordered by my grandfather). It has a 24" barrel with a bead sight on a raised platform, lever safety, and I can't think of anything else to ask. I only post on here because you guys seem to be part of the "Gods of Savages" group and I know i will get some reliable information.

Thanks to any and all who can help me out with this. I would really like to know just what I have before i give it away to some one. Heck, if it's collectable enough, i'll keep it and pass it on to one of my girls.

Thanks again guys and take care,

Jeremiaha R. Schools

Have you considered calling the factory and asking them...?

PM Sent.

It's not real rare but it is a gun that alot of collectors look for because it's hard to find the 308's with a pre-one million serial number. There wasn't a whole lot of them made in 308 before 1960 so collectors and hunters are looking for them. The hunters look for them because they were made before the tang mounted safety was added instead of the lever safety yours has. Also it was cut checkered and not impress checkered. Alot of collectors think the quality of the Savage 99 went to crap after the 1 million mark so they try to dig up the pre 1 mil 308's all the time.

About 85% of the pre-mil 308's were model F's, yours on the other hand is a model EG and they only made about 10% of them in this model so it's reall hard to find and it draws a premium when they go up for sale. I personally wouldn't let it go for less than $750 the way the U.S. prices are on this model and caliber combo. I know it's an EG from your description and the fact that it has a 24" bbl, the F's had 22" bbl's.
    Savage- "never say never".