Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DBM wood stocks / none?

brasse

DBM wood stocks / none?

Why does Boyds and Stocky's have wood laminate stocks with DBM for Remingtons and not Savages????

I assume these stocks are made with computer controlled machines, they have no trouble doing Remington 700 stocks with bottom magazines.

Why do they not do Savage stocks, if we have a detachable bottom magazine we have to buy a blind magazine stock and spend extra money to get a blind magazine.

I am looking for a lightweight (under 3 pounds) laminate stock for my 6.5 Creedmoor model 16. I would prefer to keep the bottom magazine, can anyone recomend a wood laminate stock that doesn't cost too much.

Thanks

brasse
    Thank you, I had been leaning towards them as they include a much better pad, I have to spend another $40 on Boyds stocks to get what in need and want in a pad

brasse
    Finally got my Stocky's Varmit Thumbhole laminate stock today, with DBM cutout. Beautiful brown colors.

Took all of a couple of minutes to put on my Savage model 16 Creedmoor. I weighed the Savage plastic stock, 27 ounces (1.7 lbs)

Stocky's weighed double at 55 ounces (3.43lbs). original rifle weight with 3-9x40 Nikon was 7.4 pounds.

Now with Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 and new laminate stock is 9.4 pounds. Buttpad double as thick as Boyds and the Savage pads.

Stocky's heavier than my Boyds thumbhole blind staggered.

brasse
    Finally got the Buckmaster scope sighted in, first at 100 and then 200 yards. By then wind had increased to 15-20 MPH, and I ran out of the Honady 120 A Max and started using the Hornady 129 SST Superperformance I did shoot 2 of the 129, they shot about .75 inches higher at 100 yards.

Shooting at 6 dime sized bullseyes I had two in the center and a bunch about an inch off.

Photos at 200 yards, 48 degrees, wind 10-15 MPH

Last edited by brasse; 02-22-2013 at 06:50 PM.

brasse
    New laminate stock fitted perfect as shown, zero woodworking. The Buttpad really helped with the recoil.

zero1144
    I recently purchased a Stevens 200 and would like to put this EXACT same stock on it. My question is: can the Stevens 200 be converted to DBM?

That stock will not work on your Stevens.

zero1144
    why will it not work?

Quote Originally Posted by zero1144 View Post
    why will it not work?
    If you have a Stevens 200 Centerfeed, you will need a DBM box frame and the magazine cap. Take your magazine box and follower from your Stevens and put the cap on it.

Many people have made the conversion, I see no reason why it can't be done.

Brasse that is a really nice looking stock. Very nice fit and finish. Good shooting also.

Originally Posted by zero1144

why will it not work?
    If you have a Stevens 200 Centerfeed, you will need a DBM box frame and the magazine cap. Take your magazine box and follower from your Stevens and put the cap on it.

Many people have made the conversion, I see no reason why it can't be done.

I did just that with a Stevens 243 centerfeed. The bottom metal was from a Model 11 300WSM the magazine is from the Stevens and the magazine cap is from the 300WSM magazine. Inlet with a dremel and mill bit. Not pretty but works. This is a Boyds thumbhole stock with a 243 Criterion 26" heavy sporter barrel.
    Last edited by snowgetter1; 03-01-2013 at 02:55 AM.

zero1144
    You guys are awesome! Thanks for the input. Is there a place where I can find a step by step on how to do this with pictures or video? I also like the paint job, any advice on that? (in case you can't tell I'm pretty new to gun ownership)

zero, my method was mill bit in a dremel, trace bottom metal onto stock the best I could, start chewing away and fitting metal in place. Go slow and once I was getting close I had to check alot for depth to ensure proper feeding/magazine height. The metal will line up side to side automatically because of the action screws. But, for about $100 more that Stocky's stock looks really good. The paint is Duracoat tactical/flat colors. Alot of posts on here about painting techniques if you search it.

Basic Member
    I want to order one of these but it says it fits "NON Accustock models" and mine came with the Accustock. What is the difference?

Not 100% but, I think it is the bolt release forward on the trigger guard. That could be made to fit the stock though. Hopefully someone else may know better.

But, I just looked at the OPs photo of the stock and he has that very release installed.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    Not 100% but, I think it is the bolt release forward on the trigger guard. That could be made to fit the stock though. Hopefully someone else may know better.

But, I just looked at the OPs photo of the stock and he has that very release installed.
    It sure does doesn't it. Thanks it looks like I'm ordering a new stock.

Newguyjosh
    Will this stock work with my savage 16 trophy hunter xp in .308?

palerider338
    That should work for you. I had forgotten about this post because I was looking for a Long action stock for my own rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Newguyjosh View Post
    Will this stock work with my savage 16 trophy hunter xp in .308?
    Brasse stated that his is a non-accustock model like yours, so it will work, just a straight drop-in.
    There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

brasse
    Just remember the Stockys is pretty heavy, and the Boyds DBM and pachmyr pad should be out in a week. I think it will be perhaps a pound lighter.

All depends on what you want. I was OK with the extra weight as it really helps with the recoil. At 10 pounds it would be great at a blind, but I would want the lighter Boyds if I were humping over Monatnna or Wyoming mountains.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_Erudite View Post
    Brasse stated that his is a non-accustock model like yours, so it will work, just a straight drop-in.
    Where is it stated that Brasse started with a non Accustock?

brasse
    The Savage model 16 Creedmoore is non accustock, with accutrigger and DBM

Quote Originally Posted by derrelw View Post
    Where is it stated that Brasse started with a non Accustock?
    I asked him via PM, I have an accustock model 16. The Savage Model 16 Trophy Hunter XP is non-accustock, which is what Brasse must have.
    There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Basic Member
    Thanks. I still can't tell if my action will "drop in" or not.

brasse
    It will drop in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast