Thread: Decapping .223

dangimissed

Decapping .223

some of my cases didnt get all the primer pushed out.looks like the outter part(of primer) is still in the back of the case..flush....the hole in the case is to small by .005 so i cant push a new primer in.......please advize thx to all in advance
    Last edited by dangimissed; 02-07-2013 at 06:48 PM.

davemuzz
    You have to adjust your decap pin in your die. it's not set "deep" enough to push out your spent primer. I surprised you were able to get the case out of the shell holder with a primer half pushed out.

Depending on the make of the brass it sounds to me that you are describing a crimping ring, if this is the case the easiest way to get rid of the problem is to swage the primer pocket. Means you need a swaging die set availiable from a few die makers.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

acemisser
    yeah sounds like military brass to me..You can use your chamfering tool to remove that little lip...BUT don't go to deep...

dangimissed
    holly crap the chamfering tool did the trick...thx to you acemisser.....got any snow yet

If he hasn't, he will within the next 24 hours.

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by dangimissed View Post
    holly crap the chamfering tool did the trick...thx to you acemisser.....got any snow yet
    Got lots of snow..you want some/ still snowing a little and getting windy...Good day to go to the range..lmao

Basic Member
    Just don't go hog wild with the chamfering tool, I was at the range with my AR15 and picking up my brass when I ran into the case below. The primer mushroomed to fit the chamfer and when I picked the case up the primer looked too big so I took a couple of these range pick ups home for a closer look.

I ordered the new RCBS crimp remover for their prep station and it works very well, as you can see the tool only has a slight bevel.

dangimissed
    is that for a "small rifle primer" cool tool thx again

dangimissed
    i just had to look that up....its a hornady CASE PREP TRIO 127.00 SRP man handy

Basic Member
    And when you have three five gallon buckets of crimped 5.56 Lake City cases that need to have the primer crimp removed it means some very sore numb fingers holding each case to remove the crimp.

A primer swaging tool is easier on your hands and fingers when doing bulk reloading.

In the photo below is less than 1/3 of the cases I have to process and load.

Last edited by bigedp51; 02-09-2013 at 07:10 PM.

thomae
    Big Ed: for that much brass, I'd recommend the RCBS swager (fits in a press) or the Dillon Swager. Do you have either of those?

GSRswapandslow
    Dillion swage, all day long.....one of the nest investments I've made in reloading

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Big Ed: for that much brass, I'd recommend the RCBS swager (fits in a press) or the Dillon Swager. Do you have either of those?
    Dear Mr. thomae

I live in the "REAL" world and my wife and finance minister wants to go on a European river cruise this year, therefore I settled for the cheaper decrimping tool. My fingers have stopped bleeding and I have been informed I can soak them in the Danube if the pain returns.

The boss said I spent enough this year feeding my bullet habit and I already spent my allowance on a new toy.

Besides they sometimes have nude sun bathing on the top deck of tour ships, and it should take my mind off my sore bleeding fingers when on this cruise. ;-)
    Last edited by bigedp51; 02-09-2013 at 09:22 PM.

acemisser
    you poor abused man....Suck it up and be content with what you have...lol

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    Dear Mr. thomae

I live in the "REAL" world and my wife and finance minister wants to go on a European river cruise this year ;-)
    So, what are you planning to do while she's gone?

Bill