Thread: Axis # 4: another excellent shooter and a trigger question

n4ue

Axis # 4: another excellent shooter and a trigger question

Hello to all. Picked up Axis # 4 from Wally World this week in 22-250 and it's amazingly accurate right out of the box.
    Started with a clean bore and hBN coated the bbl and the bullets. I wouldn't want to shoot it on a Prarie Dog hunt due to the thin bbl, but for predator control here in Florida, it's perfect.

I have done a lot of trigger jobs and these 4 Axis rifles are easy. I know there are thousands of 'how to" articles and videos out there, but I haven't seen this approach. Maybe I just haven't come across it......
    We all know the stock trigger er, to be correct, let's just say:
    "it draws a partial vacuum with it's lips". This one was very stiff. We also know that the Savage '2 diameter' trigger spring is a 10-24 thread on the small end, where it goes into the trigger.
    After removing the spring, I thread a button head-cap screw up from the bottom. I trim the length of the screw so it does 2 things:
    1. acts as a guide for the new, lighter spring
    2. acts as an overtravel stop.
    This works perfect. I suppose you could use a setscrew if you could find one long enough. You can 'upset' the threads of the screw to hold it in position, or just grind it to length, as I do. Also, this trigger required a shim to remove the side-to-side slop.

Just a thought......

ron

thomae
    What you said will work, but remember, you will not be able to remove the bolt from your rifle until you loosen the trigger stop/spring retaining setscrew.

Basic Member
    ???
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

n4ue
    Thomae, I know what you are referring to, but, a push on the bolt release and a pull of the trigger and the bolt comes right out.
    All 4 Axis rifles (.223, .243, 7-08 and now the 22-250) all function the same. All my rifles are stored without the bolts.....

ron

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    ???
    Elaborating on my previous post for those who are wondering: Since one has to pull back the trigger (a long way) to remove the bolt, if one limits the overtravel too much, the trigger won't go back far enough to allow sufficient movement of the sear/bolt release lever, which will in turn, prevent the bolt from being removed.

From his post, it is clear that the OP is aware of this limitation, just wanted to mention this so that others who are not aware can take this into account.

(Side note to Apache): I just realized this thread is in the reloading forum. When you get a chance, would you please move it to a more appropriate forum - Axis/Edge rifles perhaps??
    Last edited by thomae; 02-02-2013 at 11:28 AM.