Thread: Lapua Scenar 155 - jump or jam?

Bark

Lapua Scenar 155 - jump or jam?

Are any of you shooting the long skinneys in your 308's? Just finished a re-barrel on a 110 and have been anxious to try the Lapua 155's in front of 46 to 47grns of Varget.Big brown should drop off the bullets this Wed. and was looking for input here.I understand they like to be driven fast and start to sing around 2920/40 but have read that some guys are standing off .015 to .030 and others are playing touchy feelly.The tube is a 26"12 twist and will measure the COAL when the bullets arrive-didn't have any 30 cal here to check chamber leade.Side note-I recall back a couple years ago in Handloader there was an article on the "perfect" 308 load and the author tested 11 different primers and threw some CCI 250'S in just for giggles.Powder settled on was Varget and in fact the best overall in that test was the 250 by a large margin.The 250 happens to be the only large rifle primers I have right now so we'll see how they work out.Anyone here using mag primers with H4895 or Varget?Would never have tried it had I not read that article.All replys much appreciated.Side note#2...Lisa is just flat fun to talk to,eh?What a hoot.Great people in Savage land. Old Grumpy Bark

learjet

Re: Lapua Scenar 155 - jump or jam?

i use win brass, 46.5 of varget, cci200, 2.860 OAL which gives me a .050 jump in my 1 in 10 twist 26" mcgowen. they chrony @ 2947 fps, and i gained nothing accuracy wise by seatin them out longer. i do use the Lee Factory Crimp die on mine, hey, it lowered my ES, and tighten the groups slightly. these shoot 1/2 moa all day any day all the way out shootin prone off a bipod.

my 300wsm shoots them a wee bit better, almost too little to measure. i seat them a bit closer to the lands and push them hard.

let us know how they work for u!

Tightgroups

I would try a jump first, like .050 to .100, That may sound like a lot, but thats what my H-S Precisions HTR action is set for from the factory, and its a tack driver, .243moa. Plus they fit in the 10 round mag. I have tried jamming them, but got no improvement, plus I have to hand feed it. Some 308s just shoot better with a good jump, now my BRs are a different story, sometimes.
    Mike.

Uncle Jack

By "jamming" the bullets into the lands, don't you get a big jump in the pressure curve with max loads?

uj

learjet

as the jump goes down the pressure goes up. esp as u get near zero jump. u can look at it the other way though, and get more velocity from less powder w less jump...

i set up a 223 w minimal freebore to do just that. and, in that rifle, w the zero freebore chamber, my loads w cheapo 55g fmj bulk bullets went from3 moa to 3/4 moa. made a nice cheap practice gun

Uncle Jack

"....i set up a 223 w minimal freebore to do just that"

How did you accomplish that?.....just headspace on a loaded round?

uj

Quackaddict

I am running mine .015 off the lands with good accuracy.

learjet

uncle J i had to purchase a reamer w no freebore, rechamber the bbl, and headspace as normal. nothings free, i wouldnt shoot factory 223 ammo through this rifle anymore, its just loaded too hot, and too long. really this rifles now a wildcat, but for what i wanted it to do it cant be beat