Thread: New guy - first post

Landkiller

New guy - first post

Hey guys! This is my first post here. What is the latest on the Savage model 11 Long range hunter? I just gotta' have a 6.5-284 Norma. Thanks.

ctrout

Re: New guy - first post

Welcome to the forum! I don't know much about the factory configured guns but the 6.5-284 looks like an amazing cartridge. I have been wanting one but I am reaching my carrying capacity for firearms and there are other ones higher on the list. Anyway, I'm sure that it won't be long before somebody chimes in about the rifle you are considering.

Basic Member

LK,

Welcome to the forum. You are in the right place for Savage info. There was a good article on the Long Range Hunter in Shooting Times last month. It gave it high praises. There is nothing particularly special about this rifle. Many of us have been swapping to longer barrels in the hot rod rounds for years. This may been a good over the counter combination that several people will like.

Luck in your choice, Tim

Welcome to the wonderful madness of Savage shooting/building. The 6.5-284 is a super accurate long range round................if you don't mind short barrel life.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

Stick around a little while and you may decide to build your own rifle instead of going with the Long Range Hunter.

It doesn't take much mechanical abilility and only about $75 worth of tools to build about anything the you want in Savage.

Welcome to the darkside.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

DGD6MM

Welcome LandKiller- 6.5x.284 is a good caliber, and after the barrel is burnt out in can double as a great tomato stake. :D

Landkiller

Thanks for the welcome guys! What is the barrel life of a 6.5-284?

lwink

Seems like most guys are getting around 1k rounds out of them. Depending on numerous variables such as barrel manufacturer, chamber size, loads used, ... you will have effective shooting for right around that plus or minus a couple hundred before you need to cut it down a rechamber.

DGD6MM

I've got a friend that toasted one a just over 700 rounds and another fella's rifle gave up at about 900. I don't remember the brand of barrels, but I do know they were of quality. To short a barrel life for me... My 6CM has 5 inch less winddrift at 1000 yards over the 6.5x.284 and will yield 4000 + rounds of accuracy before it starts giving up.