Thread: Choate Varminter stock Torque ?

BADDOG 0302

Choate Varminter stock Torque ?

http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/VMS/24-06-02
    The Factory says 50 to 60 In/Lbs. just wondering if anyone has gone lighter, as I think 36 In/# is the limit on my torque driver.

Basic Member
    I have a 12VSS in .308/7.62 with that Choate stock but I haven't experimented with the torque settings. I have a 16FCSS in .223/5.56 where I have. Try going up in five or ten inch-pound increments, fire five, repeat. I saw my groups go from just over an inch at 30 lb/in to at or under 0.5 inches at about 40 lb/in. You may want to borrow or buy a torque wrench with a higher maximum.

My old post on the process

BADDOG 0302
    Thank You,
    I just got my driver back from the factory, and found it's limit is 36 In/lbs.. Anyone have any recommendations on a T/ driver that goes to 60In/lbs. that won't "brake the bank" ??

Basic Member
    I have one of these: Wheeler Firearms Torque Wrench. It works OK but setting a value is imprecise. Accurate torque wrenches tend to be expensive but, if you're testing and torquing, the end result will tell you what's the best and whatever wrench you're using, note the reading. Torque wrenches, if used a lot, require recalibration. Here's a bunch at Amazon and the Harbor Freight one that stangfish linked to would probably be as good as any inexpensive torquer.

BADDOG 0302
    I got this as an answer off another site

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/998...vc=subv1718023

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z55x2YPScg
    I couldn't find a $$ for the Borka but the Weaver one looks interesting, if I can sell the one I have

Basic Member
    This predicament sounds like the same thing with digital calipers.

stangfish
    One of the keys to keeping a torque wrench in calibration is to relieve the spring pressure by backing the adjustment knob all the way back out to zero or beyond

Basic Member
    Those are the instruction on the Wheeler but the deflection types still have to be recalibrated, no spring.