Thread: savage 111 bolthead retaining pin

king0581

savage 111 bolthead retaining pin

Hello forum. I was cleaning my 111 30-06 yesterday and found the bolt head retaining pin broke. The gun was made in'92-'93 so savage doesnt stock the part anymore. Ive checked online and everywhere says backordered. Ive checked brownells, midway, numrich. Does anyone know where to find the pin? It has the big firing pin hole. I do have the capabilities of making a new one myself and wonder if it would be safe to make a new one out of 304 stainless steel. Any help on replacement parts or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I think I have one you can have ill have to check when i get home. Shoot me a message if your interested ill give it to ya.

king0581
    PM sent

ellobo
    If you have to make one do not use a 300 series stainless. Use at least a 440C stainless, or a tool steel of some type. The original pin probably broke due to bad heatreatment.
    El Lobo

king0581
    Thanks for the reply. I used a file on the old one and it cut into it. So was thinking of using a 4140 steel. Was the original suppose to be hardened?

king0581
    Found one thanks guys

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by king0581 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I used a file on the old one and it cut into it. So was thinking of using a 4140 steel. Was the original suppose to be hardened?

I don't know what the pins are made of, but as you noted, they're not "hard". As far as making them I use drill rod.

I also recommend using snap caps dry firing. Without them the protrusion nut slams into the bolt head shaft and puts all that shock on the retaining pin. If that's the reason some break or not I can't say, but why risk the chance. They are easily made by gluing a pencil eraser in the primer pocket of a case or filling it with RTV.

What's the old saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"? It takes me 20-30 minutes to make and install a pin, five minutes to make a snap cap!

Bill

I've switched all of mine to small firing pins.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar