Thread: Sightron SIII 8-32X56 LRD

Senderofan

Sightron SIII 8-32X56 LRD

Hi all:

I just received my Sightron SIII 8-32x LRD today. I wanted to give my initial impressions. The scope has not been mounted on the rifle that it will eventually be attached to....it hasn't been built yet. However....I did my initial assessment, which I perform with every scope I purchase, from my desk. I overlook an empty lot and part of a golf course to another neighborhood. The house that I look at is 6-800 yards away...didn't dig the laser range finder out but my process is the same.

I would say...at this range....this Sightron is probably identical to my 8-32X BR NightForce in terms of brightness...edge to edge. I could not ascertain any difference in clarity versus the NightForce....as the sun is setting. IN my experience...the only scope that appears to have an edge...perhaps in clarity...would be an IOR ( Schotte glass with Zeiss coatings ) that I owned...but only by a slight margine.

For the money....Sightron has my vote big time!! Guys...I've searched for the best optics within the middleground...meaning NightForce, IOR, Bushnell Elite 4200, Leupold VXIII and VX7. I have to say that the IOR/Zeiss is amazing...but I had problems with the repeatability of adjustments in cold weather with the IOR. The NightForce seems to have identical optics of the Sightron....time will tell if the Sightron can keep up with repeatability of the NightForce....at half the cost!

I'm extremely pleased with my initial impression of the Sightron. I would not be afraid to purchase another for my collection. I await, with anticipation, for my Sightron 10-50X by 60 MM to arrive!

Wayne

Don - LongRangeSupply

Re: Sightron SIII 8-32X56 LRD

Try some printed text at 100 yards. Print up a test page with good dark crisp words starting at about 6 point type, going up to around 48 point (larger than 48 for lower power scopes) then look through both scopes, going back and forth between them, and see how small you can read clearly without guessing.

I have one of each and the Nightforce will allow me to read several point sizes smaller in text then the Sightron every time. For the money the Sightron is about as good as it gets but clearly it is not equal to at least my Nightforce 8-32x.

Senderofan

Re: Sightron SIII 8-32X56 LRD

Quote Originally Posted by Too may Savages, is that possible?
    Try some printed text at 100 yards. Print up a test page with good dark crisp words starting at about 6 point type, going up to around 48 point (larger than 48 for lower power scopes) then look through both scopes, going back and forth between them, and see how small you can read clearly without guessing.

I have one of each and the Nightforce will allow me to read several point sizes smaller in text then the Sightron every time. For the money the Sightron is about as good as it gets but clearly it is not equal to at least my Nightforce 8-32x.
    Thanks, I'll try that. But for the money....I'm blown away presently. Things may change out in the field. The IOR ( Schott glass and Zeiss coatings ) was perhaps the best viewing experience I've ever had....but it's twice the cost of the Sightron. If this new scope is even close to the NightForce...I'll consider it a success...looking for a high quality scope for my wife and son to use....without breaking the bank.

Thanks again...I'll try and compare the SIII to the BR NightForce...and see which is better.

Wayne