Thread: Savage 340-D why you always clean a new to you firearm

drphilwv

Savage 340-D why you always clean a new to you firearm

Soooo. Traded a crappy Universal M1 carbine for this one. It's generally in pretty nice external shape. So I took it out of the wood to clean it.
    Yeah, I think those were baby roaches at one time. I have the creepy crawlers now the rest of the dang day. Guess it probably hasn't been all that well maintained..,,,, anyway, cleaning initiated.
    Phil

Savage 340-D why you always clean a new to you firearm

Bizarre…

outback andy
    Quote Originally Posted by drphilwv View Post
    Soooo. Traded a crappy Universal M1 carbine for this one. It's generally in pretty nice external shape. So I took it out of the wood to clean it.
    Yeah, I think those were baby roaches at one time. I have the creepy crawlers now the rest of the dang day. Guess it probably hasn't been all that well maintained..,,,, anyway, cleaning initiated.
    Phil
    Looks like that 340 D needs a little loving...when you get the your new stock you will need to fit that trigger guard mag plate to the stock, I did it by marking both sides of the new stock using
    the trigger guard mag plate and a pencil, then using a hack saw cut down to the lines and then using a chisel cut out the wood, then clean it up with your file..
    Last edited by outback andy; 01-28-2013 at 08:17 PM.

drphilwv
    The bore is a bit rought back nearer the chamber. Not going to panic. Going to shoot a box or two with some good cleaning of a warm bore and just see what she can do. I have milsurp guns with worse bores that have very good accuracy. That's just nasty though. Who has bugs like that where they keep their guns?? Took a lot of brass wool to remove all the surface rust. Still overall pleased with the deal. I like to have to do a little work. The clear on the stock is flaky. Taking it down tonight and using a basic Tru-oil for the stock to spiff it up a little. I wasn't going to alter the stock until I really got a look at how kinda crappy it is. So, not afraid to do much damage since it's a fixer-upper anyway. Might steam out a new dents just for practice.

drphilwv
    Adding this info here in case I lose it later.
    From Bolt Action Rifles by Frank de Haas ------ Savage m110= 1.055 dia. 20v tpi.
    From NRA Gunsmithing Guide ----- Savage m340 et al = .850 dia. 18v tpi.
    Taken from another forum. May end up needing to rebarrel the .222 and found the shank info.

JCalhoun
    Yea, I know what you mean about the mil-surp bores. I have a Model 1917 Eddystone that had a very dark and pitted bore. Took several months of shooting and cleaning but it did eventally clean up good and shoots well now.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drphilwv View Post
    Adding this info here in case I lose it later.
    From Bolt Action Rifles by Frank de Haas ------ Savage m110= 1.055 dia. 20v tpi.
    From NRA Gunsmithing Guide ----- Savage m340 et al = .850 dia. 18v tpi.
    Taken from another forum. May end up needing to rebarrel the .222 and found the shank info.
    I have just taken apart my sav 340, in .223, and the threads are close to the NRA guide. Mine actually measure .864" - 18tpi. I assume that is undersized for a 7/8" shank. Just thought I would post that info in case anyone was looking. I had actually seen the info from the NRA guide and posted somewhere on this forum awhile ago... Wanting to correct, or be more accurate in the measurements I guess...

The Old Coach
    Confirm that a spare 340 barrel in my inventory measures .864 OD x 18 tpi.

Can you post a pic or 2 of the gun all cleaned up.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!