Thread: pre WW2 model 4c scope questions...

leonlafever

pre WW2 model 4c scope questions...

I just picked up a Model 4c .22cal bolt action that has no scope or mounts attached. I've tried researching the best method to mount a 3/4" scope, but haven't found anything specific. I'm pretty sure that I need to pick up a Weaver N2 scope mount, but I was just curious if anyone else has knowledge to share. I'm not interested in bending the bolt like some old Mauser's require. Is the N2 sidemount high enough not to interfere with the bolt? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, -Richard

If your talking about N2's I'm guessing it has 4 holes drilled in the side for the scope mount then.

N2 should work but if your worried about clearance try an N3 it will be higher.
    Savage- "never say never".

leonlafever
    It has 2 factory threads on the side. I have an N5 here and the holes line up, so I'm sure it'll mount. I might take your advice and get an N3 just to be safe. It's a straight handled bolt, so I think it would be really close with an N2. I contacted weaver to see what they recommended... they simply said that they don't make anything anymore that would work and the old N series would be their recommendation. I didn't think 3/4" scopes were limited enough not to warrant a side mount.... oh well.

I figured it wouldn't have 4 holes, the Savage 3,4,5,6, and 7 all used Weaver "T" mounts with 2 holes, not the "N" mounts with 4.

I imagine the N mount will work though, just won't need the extra two holes.
    Savage- "never say never".

leonlafever
    hmmm..... now I think I'll look into the T mounts.

leonlafever
    Just to update for future viewers.... I found and mounted an old weaver T1 mount. The holes line up perfect, but I did need to shave about an 1/8" of the stock to get it to set flush. Since mine is a beater rifle, it didn't bother me. Also, the T1 is pretty close on bolt clearance. I have a straight tube 4x scope, so I had no worries. Hope that helps someone in the future.

22BVGord
    I just tried a Weaver 2 on my 3B. The two holes line up but the bolts that came with the package are 8-32 and mine is tapped and died for a 10-32. The base was $17 CA so left it until I locate some bolts. A set of 1" rings is another $31 so not sure I'm going this route.

leonlafever
    If you go to the weaver website, they have lists of what mounts and rings to use for old savage rifles... but only for 1" scopes. If you need a 3/4", you have to go old school mounting. That was my issue.