Thread: Need help identifying the "model" of "Model 10" I bought.

JustinN

Need help identifying the "model" of "Model 10" I bought.

I'd been looking for a new bolt gun to do one of two things - Replace my current Remington Sportsman 78 in 30-06 as my go to hunting rifle, OR become a second rifle to play with at the range, have as a backup gun, etc. The biggest thing I was looking for on the gun was a NICE wood stock. I found quickly that is NOT an easy task, if you want to stay under the $1000 mark! I found a couple possible guns, but nothing that just really caught my attention....until I went to Academy Sports. They had very little except for this one one gun. Absolutely GORGEOUS furniture. The tag read "Savage 10 Trophy Hunter DLX XP". I tried searching the internet for a "Deluxe" version and couldn't find anything. It came with the 3x9-40 Nikon scope, but the stock doesn't look ANYTHING like the ones on the Savage Website. I was pretty much sold on the gun, then I asked if I could try the "accutrigger", as the salesman said they were great. Once I felt that I bought it right then. I have since tried to find what I bought, because it does not seem like a normal Trophy Hunter. The barrel says Model 10, so I know it is a model 10. It is a .243 caliber and has a detachable box magazine. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

pitsnipe
    Justin,

Was this a new gun? Cause it looks like it. Smooth barrel nut and all. But Im fairly new to Savages (purchased my first mdl 10 last year). It will be interesting to hear from those in the know what this is.
    Good shootin!

JustinN
    Yes, Brand New. I had the guy check the system and it was the only one they had in all Academy Sports stores. The box just says Trophy Hunter XP, and the serial number on the box matches the gun. I just can't find anything online that looks like this when I search Trophy Hunter XP. There was a Model 10 50th anniversary that had a similar stock, but different finish, but the metal was completely different, gold trigger, etc.

See my reply to your other post in the introduction board. What you have there is an anomaly - probably a special production run by some major distributor or retailer as that's the stock they used on the Model 10 50th Anniversary guns back in 2008. That engraving pattern hasn't ever been offered on any other factory stock, and the wood grade is far higher than what was standard on the Model 14/114 Classic that's been discontinued for a couple years now.

Serial number start with a G or an H?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

JustinN
    The serial number starts with an H

Ok, that makes it 2010 or newer so like I said - most likely a special production run item. Large distributors and retailers will often have special guns built that differ slightly from the catalog guns just so they have something special to draw in customers. Special stocks is one of the most frequent as Cabela's, Talo, Jerry's and others have all done them with various different laminate stocks over the years. This is the first high grade walnut model I've ever seen though.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

JustinN
    The stock was very very surprising to me, for the $650 price point. Maybe Academy sports got into the special buy from one of the distributors or something. It is definitely way way nicer than anything Bass Pro had from Savage, in that price range or even higher.

Yeah, you definitely got a steal on that one. Even the Model 14/114 American Classics typically sell for over $700 and they have standard grade walnut stocks on them.

sure is a nice looking rifle. congrats.

JustinN
    One bump on this to see if anyone knows specifically what this setup may have been labeled or called. I posted on Savage's Facebook page, but they did not respond to it.

Per your first post, if the tag said "Savage 10 Trophy Hunter DLX XP" then I'm guessing that's what they called/labeled it.

mwurman
    I just want to say...I really like that Savage is topping their rifles with Nikon optics now