Thread: Favorite aiming point on deer with 243 and 95gr partition

Basic Member

Favorite aiming point on deer with 243 and 95gr partition

As the title says, what's your favorite aiming point on deer, with the 243 and 95/100gr partition? How high success ratios with these shots. I would prefer the traditional heart lung shots ie, right behind front leg. I would rather not take shoulder shots, due to high meat loss that way.

Do the partitions usually exit on those shots?

drphilwv

Favorite aiming point on deer with 243 and 95gr partition

100gr sp I go neck if I feel confident I can get it done. Basically aim where the neck meets the body imagining a spine. Otherwise double lung heart foreleg shot.

CJnWy
    The center of the chest right behind the front leg. It gives you a large room for error and leave a BIG hole on the backside. With that said for some reason the last 5 critters have fallen to a high liver shot( I can blame the wind for three but it was me on the other two)=straight down! Have found the Partition to be a great bullet as long as you keep it away from meat!

Basic Member
    Great thanks. I have taken the same neck shots before but last one was a 168gr TTSX. Needless to say is was a DRT.

Basic Member
    I like quartering away shots. Put it right behind shoulder. It takes out the heart and opposite shoulder. Does in south MS are <110 lbs and most bucks are <170. Not much meat on front shoulders on does here.

Basic Member
    I was taught the crease shot and try to do that but on a large buck I'll take the high shoulder shot. I've had 3 deer shot there with my .243 and they are all DRT and hitting the shoulders and spine creates a lot of shrapnel. My first big buck I shot when I was 12 and though I hit the shoulder and spine (4-6 inches gone) it's lungs had been pretty messed up by bone.

I have never used the partition always used the Sie 85 BTHP and a neck shot or a heart and lung shot.

heart/lung shot if broadside of course

dont really like the texas heart shot, as it makes a pretty big mess.....LOL (I did have one of these this year too, on a doe running dead away from me.)

I also had a neck shot this year as well, but pulled the shot slightly and dang near missed it completely. Ended up just grazing it in the throat. Looked more like I slit it in the throat with a knife instead of shooting it...LOL
    Last edited by pdog06; 01-31-2013 at 10:41 PM.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member
    I don't usually LOL at the bad shots I make. I would analyze the situation surrounding my mistake and make sure not to do that again.

If we can't laugh at ourselves who can we laugh at.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    If we can't laugh at ourselves who can we laugh at.
    How about Joe Biden?

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    How about Joe Biden?
    No no no that is political.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

irondog54
    I enjoy eating heart, and I like my liver. Therefore, I go to the lungs or the neck, depending on the shot presented.

Basic Member
    Do the high shoulder shots always destroy a lot of meat? I am not opposed to tracking, and it's usually dry around here, so sign shows up pretty well, but DRT is always good. On a close shot I will go for the neck, but longer ranges require other options.

For those that use the partition, and on a heart lung shot, do you get exits?

I feel pretty certain that a Barnes TSX would give that, but I have a lot of the partitions to use up.

CJnWy
    Hit a mulie years ago looking straight at me with the 243 and a Partion. The partition did not exit but it come close A broadside shot on a deer with the 243 they will exit with a big hole within 300 yards! The frag damage is something to behold.

Basic Member
    OK hope to see it myself this fall. Thanks

I use Partitions for 99% of my hunting ammo and have taken several deer/pronghorns with them. Never recovered a single bullet so far. I shoot for the offside shoulder on quartering shots and the center of the heart/lung area on broadside shots. I have never experienced excessive meat loss with a Partition, I consider a fist sized chunk of meat acceptable but usually don't loose that much.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    Thanks Bob