Thread: Redding body die

danoh

Redding body die

Hi folks,
    New member here with probably a no-brainer question. Go easy on me please.
    Can I use the Redding body die to post-size loaded ammo that was fired in and neck-sized for another rifle?
    Specifically, .223 Remington. I recently sold a Mossberg MVP and moved up to the Savage VLP and have some leftover ammo
    that was loaded for the Mossberg.
    I believe the answer is yes, but wanted to check with more experienced people.
    Thanks very much for your input, I've enjoyed reading this forum for some time before joining.

Basic Member
    I've done it.

I'm new to reloading.. but my guess would be as long as you're COAL/CBTO measurements and barrel twist are same/similar should be no problem--except maybe if you're running a hot load and are looking at backing the bullet in possibly raising pressure issues?
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Speedrat1
    While it may be possible to do so I think you're taking chances. I've pulled down and reworked several hundred rounds when I've loaded up oversize cartridges for a specific gun. Last one was for a 223 that was about 7 thou long in the chamber. It really wasn't that big a deal, few hours, and the resized and reloaded rounds still shot as accurately as the original. You're taking the chance by sizing the body that the cartridge length might be pushed long or that the COAL most likely will be.

danoh
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    I'm new to reloading.. but my guess would be as long as you're COAL/CBTO measurements and barrel twist are same/similar should be no problem--except maybe if you're running a hot load and are looking at backing the bullet in possibly raising pressure issues?
    No OAL changes, just wanting to get case back to standard dimensions and then fireform for the Savage. I can always pull bullets if necessary and resize then, but
    would rather resize with body die and shoot them. Thanks, guys

mag41vance
    Quote Originally Posted by danoh View Post
    Hi folks,
    New member here with probably a no-brainer question. Go easy on me please.
    Can I use the Redding body die to post-size loaded ammo that was fired in and neck-sized for another rifle?
    Specifically, .223 Remington. I recently sold a Mossberg MVP and moved up to the Savage VLP and have some leftover ammo
    that was loaded for the Mossberg.
    I believe the answer is yes, but wanted to check with more experienced people.
    Thanks very much for your input, I've enjoyed reading this forum for some time before joining.
    I think the Body die is perfect for that application. I buy and sell rifles quite often and the Body die is wonderful for bumping back shoulders if a new Bore is a little smaller.
    I think that application has to be safer than pulling down loaded ammo with a Kinetic plastic hammer whacking the daylights out of a loaded round until the bullet drops out. MHO

danoh
    Quote Originally Posted by mag41vance View Post
    I think the Body die is perfect for that application. I buy and sell rifles quite often and the Body die is wonderful for bumping back shoulders if a new Bore is a little smaller.
    I think that application has to be safer than pulling down loaded ammo with a Kinetic plastic hammer whacking the daylights out of a loaded round until the bullet drops out. MHO
    Thanks mag, Sounds like the voice of experience there. I really appreciate your input.

mag41vance
    Quote Originally Posted by danoh View Post
    Thanks mag, Sounds like the voice of experience there. I really appreciate your input.
    Like I said, " my opinion".
    Reloading can be dangerous. Always respect the safety guidelines.
    Last edited by mag41vance; 01-28-2013 at 10:53 AM.

davemuzz
    I've done it. Do I think it's dangerous? Hell yes!! I wear double safety eye wear when I do this. I mean think about it...you have a loaded cartridge essentially inside a "chamber" with the bullet sticking out at essentially your chest\eye level. Now, obviously you don't have a firing pin in your press.....but "stuff happens." You can't be too careful.

So....IMHO, should the cartridge for whatever reason get set off, I believe the bullet will go straight up. In my "space" it will go into my garage attic. No big deal. But, "stuff" could still spatter into my face. I still like to be able to see my screw ups.

FWIW

Dave

Basic Member
    I have done it too. Use good lube!