Thread: Case length

Eastman

Case length

Hi everyone,
    Just a quick one.....I have some new Lapua 30.06 brass which is unbelievably uniform in both length & weight! This is my first Lapua brass, and I'm just amazed at the quality. Anyway, I want to ask if it is necessary to F/L size it before the first loading and, as it is all 2.487 or 2.487.5 in length, should I just load it as is, or trim to the normal 2.484? A strange question maybe, but everywhere I look, it sugests 2.484 trim length.
    I had heard a few mumblings about Lapua not being as good as it used to be, but this I have bought is almost perfect! Certainly the best I have ever seen. Mine is approximately 6 years old (Unopened boxes), so maybe I am lucky.
    Thanks,
    Eastman

Basic Member
    i would run it in a die just enough to make sure the mouth is round and load it. I would worry about trimming after the first firing.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Eastman
    All the mouths look perfect, so maybe I'll just load some up. 2.484 & 2.487 are near the same, so should be ok.
    Eastman

Hi cycle a few into the chamber, there's no better test than that.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Eastman
    Hi Dean
    Just did that, and they cycled perfectly. I have always followed the advice in the books and trimmed to 2.484, so just wondered about 2.487, the max is 2.494 I believe, so should be fine I guess.
    Many thanks.
    John.

No, "I guess", you will be fine.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Eastman
    Ok then, so it's right out of the box....all the same length & all the same weight, or very very near. Never had brass like this.
    Thanks John

That's why they get the big bucks for them.

Dean

Eastman
    Yeah, I can understand that. I once had a batch of Norma brass, ( once fired ) and used them for friendly competition in .308. It was very good, but this batch of Lapua is unbelievably consistant! No dents, almost everyone the same length, and VERY close to being all the same weight, and that is the whole box!! I would have a hard time sizing & trimming brass to the consistancy that these are....no kidding.
    Thanks for your advice & info,
    John