Thread: model 220 age

paul27

model 220 age

how can you tell the year of manufacturing with no serial number / has markings on barrel 00 and two stamps that look like a duck head from left to right with a small circle and the letter p inside above it / other marking on right side of barrel is the big oval circle with a big S that has a letter p inside the top of the S and a letter t inside the bottom of the S with a small s stamped on its side to the left of big S /also the 00 and two duck heads on the reciever side lower left

I'm guessing it's a Utica manufacture?

I can date the Chicopee model 220's but sorry, theres no way of dating the Utica made ones, they never had serial numbers or date codes on them.

The duck heads have me interested though, is the gun in 12 ga?
    Savage- "never say never".

paul27
    model 220 has chicopee falls mass stamped on 30 inch barrel in 12ga

Oh geez, 30" barrel? I've seen these before, a guy named GeneralLee on here years ago had one, not many of them around.

If it's a Chicopee then try to find the date code on it for me, it's a small oval stamp with a number and a letter stamped inside of it. Weird that it doesn't have a serial number, most of the Chicopees did.

Also look for a flaming bomb stamped on it, some of the 30" barrel 220's were used to train pilots and anti aircraft guys back in the day, it showed them how to lead their shots. Not joking either, I've seen the guns.

Although I doubt yours will be a trainer if it has the engraving on it.

paul27
    when its all together you see no markings accept for the name where made model number on left side and the proof tested 2 3/4 chamber 12 gauge on the right side / when broke down in three pieces the barrel has markings 00 @@ with a small circle and a letter P inside it above and centered over the 00 @@ mark and the 00 @@ on the right side flat part of locking piece / the other marking is on the stock side in the metal on the left side which only has 00 @@ on it / the locking forearm has none

Hmmmm....funny, no date code. The other markings are just assembly marks and a proof mark.

paul27
    found two more markings on right side a circle with number 17 and to the right of it number 4 an inch or so away / small had to use magnify glass to see them

Paul, any way you can post pics of that receiver and the ducks? Or email a couple pics to me?

I know a guy that might be able to tell me what the engraving is all about.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.