Thread: .17 WSM Barrel Life

.17 WSM Barrel Life

I apologize if this has already been covered somewhere else, but this caliber looks like a really fun addition to the arsenal. Not being experienced with small calibers at high velocities, I was wondering if there were any concerns about barrel life?

Basic Member
    Being that there are no guns or ammo available at this point, we might find out in 2 yrs.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by claytonsdad View Post
    I apologize if this has already been covered somewhere else, but this caliber looks like a really fun addition to the arsenal. Not being experienced with small calibers at high velocities, I was wondering if there were any concerns about barrel life?
    With that kind of bore size and powder capacity, barrel life shouldn't be too bad.

I wish they had chose a different name. When I think 17wsm, I get a mental picture of a 50bmg necked down to 30 caliber.
    Last edited by geargrinder; 01-27-2013 at 10:51 PM.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

CJnWy
    Glad its not only me thats getting that mental pic....Just dont see it being enough different from the HMR to warrent but I'm still trying to figure a 17x28 so it can be reloaded.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJnWy View Post
    Glad its not only me thats getting that mental pic....Just dont see it being enough different from the HMR to warrent but I'm still trying to figure a 17x28 so it can be reloaded.
    Well I dont have one in, my near future, but I can see a HUGE difference, 700fps to be exact. The HMR puts out the 20gr at 2300 and the WSM puts out a 20gr at 3000fps, that's a huge difference. I see this thing taking ground squirrels to 300yds easily and foxes to 200 easily. Lots of power there.

Since the case is small, along with powder capacity, I can imagine barrel life not even being an issue.

Now getting the gun or ammo might be another story altogether.
    Last edited by handirifle; 01-29-2013 at 12:31 AM.

I was just thinking that this might be enjoyable to have. I also see sending a lot of rounds down range and if barrel life is an issue, it would greatly reduce the fun factor for me.

Basic Member
    I have read a lot of posts about guys with the 22 and 17 K-Hornets, and none of them have complained about barrel life. The 17 K-Hornet has about 800fps over the 17 WSM, so I seriously doubt it will ever be an issue.

Now here is what I would like to do/see, is mount a 17 WSM barrel on my centerfire Savage, and build a modified bolt that hits the rim instead of center. I have an idea that has been rattling around in my skull. I wonder if a new firing pin could be built with an offset pin, at the tip only, then could a bolt head be drilled for the new offset pin? But that's a whole new idea altogether.