Thread: 458WSM and 510WSM

458WSM and 510WSM

Currently working on 2 new wildcats. Currently working on the .510WSM and ordered a .458 barrel for the other one.

Here lately I like to pick a case and start building wildcat families instead of just building them at random. Currently working with the WSM case. I have a 6mmWSM, 257WSM, and a 6.5WSM on the small end. Working on the big end now.

The 458WSM should duplicate or better the 458 Winny in a short action controlled feed action and the 510WSM should be equal to or better than the 50 Alaskan also working through the same action.

The future will see a 375WSM, 358WSM and a 338WSM.....should complete the family. Change the barrels as needed/wanted. Cover everything from mice to light armored vehicles with a single rifle.
    Last edited by Apache; 01-26-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Jim,
    Sounds great- the 458 WSM sure interests me, as does the 338.
    Could they be used in a push- feed platform?

I'm sure they could with some tweeking.......but the controlled feed WSM receiver just makes it sooooo easy.

I'll post as these projects move forward for those that are interested in this type of stuff.

Not many wildcatters around anymore......but there is still interest in following the results.

Not sure if you have seen these Apache. I almost was going to get one for my Striker, but decided on the 450B. Thanks.
    http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.co...per-Short.html

Thanks!!!

Those look very similar in concept.

jibben
    every time I think I have most of the bases covered.

Apache,

When you're done with that start on the 375 Ruger case. I've seen a 416, but I'd love to see it go up to the 458 and 510. Those would be great rounds in a long action centerfeed.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Great cartridge.....to small in diameter for a .510 version. It would be almost totally straight walled. May give extraction troubles. Heard of it being necked up to .458 though......and most everything going down in size.

On my back burners for now is making up a classic style black powder paper patch round based on the 9.3x74R blown out to .40 or .44 caliber for a single shot 1885 rifle. I have a soft spot for the old single shot straight walled charcoal burners.

BatteredSav
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post

Not many wildcatters around anymore......but there is still interest in following the results.
    A series based on the WSMs was done in Australia, 375, 416, 404 and 458. Seperate was the 358WSM which is the 35Sambar. One of the local writers showcased issues he had to get a 257WSM to work. The WSM case has also been shortened by cutting at the shoulder/body junction and necking to 458" to fit the WSSM actions, and is called a 458JCE ... matches 375H&H speeds with 300gr pills too when pushed along with Lil-Gun. On the WSSM case ... I have a 338/243WSSM reamer for a future project, and I know a 44WSSM has been done as well as a 375WSSM.

I think wildcatting is alive and well.

When I said that, i meant here on the forum.

There really is very little that is ever new or original in wildcatting, truth be known. The WSM was wildcatted up and down as soon as it hit the market...maybe even before that...I just don't have a barrel with all of them in my personal collection............yet.

I didn't have a single hiccup with my 257WSM.....EFBell here on the forum was the first among us to make one up. To my knowledge he didn't either. Do you remember what kind of trouble they had with thiers?

WSSM's are interesting little cartridges. The 338/243WSSM looks like an ultra sized 6mmBR. I would imagine it will shoot really well after the case necks have been turned down to a reasonable thickness too.

Post up a report on it when you get it done.

We drool over a new cartridge introductions mainly to see what we can do with the new brass.

moved it
    Last edited by Freepistol; 01-28-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: moved it
    Are you tax diversified?

BatteredSav
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    When I said that, i meant here on the forum.

I didn't have a single hiccup with my 257WSM.....EFBell here on the forum was the first among us to make one up. To my knowledge he didn't either. Do you remember what kind of trouble they had with thiers?

We drool over a new cartridge introductions mainly to see what we can do with the new brass.
    I'm certainly guilty of looking over any new cartridge case for its 'hidden potential'. I currently run a few wildcats ... 458AccRel, 458B&M, 22/204, 6x45mm, 223AI, have a 17PeeWee coming soon, plus a set of 22/06 dies coming for another build. I have run 375/08 and plan on another, will also do a 6.5/250 (6.5mm on the 22/250 case) as I want to stir up a mate with his 6.5x47Lapua. Oh ... and there's a PacNor 35cal barrel coming destined for a 358RUM ... the A&B 35cal barrel I planned on using for it will be re-contoured and slapped onto a Lee Speed action as a 35/303. Wildcatting is a madness, second only to Savage addiction ... oddly, the two go hand in hand as with a few receivers the sky is the limit.

If you can PM me an email address, I'll send the articles that described the WSM wildcats.

The 257WSM was 'tempermental' in that its pressures fluctuated significantly with a very narrow operating window in terms of powders. The author is an M98 fan and chambered to it (seems like an odd choice to me) and had lug set-back. Add to that collapsed cases and wild velocity and pressure fluctuations. It certainly worked and exceeded 257Weatherby speeds in certain loads, but was simply too tempermental to have ever been a factory offering.
    Cheers...
    Con

Barrels are all here........even picked up a 375 barrel at a good price. New brass is on the way and have contoured 2 of the barrel blanks so far.

Just posting an update.

Very cool projects Apache! I will be watching.

Basic Member
    358Hammer here has done a 338WSM with good results, he may have some info on the others you are contemplating. . .
    Romans 10:9 "That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."