Thread: Long action "rail" and rings????

treeworkplus

Long action "rail" and rings????

Any suggestions on a low combination for my older long action Savage build in 22-250? I purchased an EGW picatinny rail and "low" rings but the combination was too high with my 6-24X44 Hawke scope. The EGW rail is taller than most. Lots of options for short actions but I'm unable to find a low "rail" for my long action.

Thanks for any info
    Mike

Basic Member
    My first thought is to raise the cheek placement. Using a cheek pad or the like. Someone else may have a different fix, but that's my first thought.

pitsnipe
    I concur with Jack. Try to get the scope as low as possible with base and rings (within 1/4" of the barrel) Then just raise the cheek rest with a Karstens or slip on. You wont regret the solid cheek placement. Most stocks are not made with a high enough comb for proper cheek weld even WITH the lowest scope placement anyway.
    Good luck.

treeworkplus
    A good suggestion I use on my model 16 Weather Warrior 22-250 coyote gun. My scope is very close to the barrel and I still had to shape a piece of wood, duct tape it to the accustock and slide one of those $8 elastic butt stock bullet holders over it. Looks great and perfect cheek weld!
    I'm trying to mount the scope as low as possible on a 308 to 22-250 build. Using the "Point Blank" ballistic program, one of the inputs is scope height above bore. The lower the scope, the longer the distance before hold over/under is needed. We use dogs to run the coyotes here in Northern Michigan and shots are always at unknown distances.

Thanks for the good suggestions!
    Mike

The Weaver Tacticals are shorter than the EGW's. Cheaper too.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

treeworkplus
    Thanks for the Weaver suggestion. I checked and can't find them for my flat rear version. I looked at your pictures closer and notice yours is a round rear receiver.

Mike