Thread: choate ultimate varmint stock opinions?

ycis

choate ultimate varmint stock opinions?

http://www.tacticalworks.com/Choate-...ng-Action.html

curious if a stock pencil barrel (currently what I have) will fit properly in this since it appears to be made for the varmint barrel size..and that I can upgrade later to a custom/aftermarket bull barrel or similar?

or will it simply not work with the smaller barrel?

(rifle is a stevens 200 la 30-06)

The thinner barre will fit in the stock, you will just have a larger gap on each side of the barrel until you upgrade to the fatter barrel.

tbartley
    As SHOWMESHOOTER said, it'll work fine. It just looks funny due to the size of the smaller barrel in that stock. Just remember what you are using it for. It has some weight to it, but not as much as the Ultimate Sniper stock. Even though it has the aluminum block, I would still bed the action. I've bedded all my Savage actions, no matter which stock they were in, Choate, B&C, Savage wood, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ycis View Post
    http://www.tacticalworks.com/Choate-...ng-Action.html

curious if a stock pencil barrel (currently what I have) will fit properly in this since it appears to be made for the varmint barrel size..and that I can upgrade later to a custom/aftermarket bull barrel or similar?

or will it simply not work with the smaller barrel?

(rifle is a stevens 200 la 30-06)
    I have used the Ultimate Sniper stock for years, and MZ5 the Ultimate Varminter.
    Obviously a barrel that is smaller will work, whether or not it looks "funny" is up to you. Personally I shoot my guns, not stare at them, so if they shoot accurately; I don't care what they look like to some other pud-knocker.

The real question for you is: What are you going to do with it??
    That stock will just about DOUBLE the weight of your rifle, can you carry that? I pack my 20# FP hunting over hill and dale... My hunting partner cries because his rifle weighs more than 10# and he has to lift it into the truck.

The stock is ROCK solid however, I think tbartley has way to much time on his hands, if he thinks he needs to bed it, Time to go shooting!!!
    If you are going to be doing alot of bench, or prone work; the Ultimate Sniper is a much better choice. The angled fore-end and T rail give you elevation adjustment without having to have a bipod that is a mile tall. The angled front-end, of the butt-stock; also helps with off hand grip.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

ycis
    im definately more of a function over form guy for sure.

I could care less if it adds a few lbs to the rifle if it improves the shooting. if i cant carry a 15lb rifle, ill spend more time in the gym =)

I find it highly unlikely ill be doing much offhand shooting

ycis
    just looked up the ultimate sniper stock....definately looks nice...but even the description says "this stock has mixed reviews" lol

what are the complaints about it?

on a side note, it shows that the US stock is nearly 2lbs heavier than the ultimate varmint stock? or is that just a typo?

ycis
    so I went with this stock (the uv)...and it arrived today...couldnt be happier with the stock itself...save one small detail.

the blind magazine.

in the factory model, it has that retaining clip, however i surely cannot see how this is suggested to use in the choate stock as it would insert that crappy (and relatively thick) clip inbetween the action assembly and the nice perfect aluminum bedding block groove.

however without it, the magazine just pops up and interferes with the bolt making the gun essentially a stick =)

surely there is a better way to affix this magazine in the stock aye?

pkbjamn
    I wrestled with this exact issue this morning for about 2 hours. I ended up shimming the magazine body so that it was the proper height to feed the rounds. Otherwise, the bolt passed over the cartridges without stripping and loading the topmost round. Once I found the proper height and shimmed it accordingly, I found a spring clip in my tool box that would secure the magazine body at the rear. It loads and feeds properly, however, I have not shot it yet. I don't know if the clip will hold properly under recoil. If not, I'll figure a way to secure it better. Good luck with your stock. Like you, I really like the stock.

Here is a way that should work.
    Put some epoxy putty at the corners of the mag well, push the mag into at the right higth,then tighten the action onto the stock over night,you now have a bedded mag where it should be.Make sure you use plenty of release agent so the mag is removable.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

ycis
    yea...i figured it would come down to having to use some sort of adhesive to hold the mag in place....have to go pick up some non permanent style at lowes later this week.

am a bit disappointed at choate customer service....as I spoke with them via email and they were extremely helpful in identifying the rifle I had, and what stock options would work for it.

however since reporting the problem above (even with pictures)...ive not heard a peep from them....even replying to the same email address that was so helpful to me prior to purchase.

ycis
    tis funny...the DAY after I wind up gluing the magazine in (i used some less permanent putty just in case)...I hear back from choate that this stock wont fit a centerfeed long action rifle...despite the earlier email confirmation from them that it would.

anyway...it works now that its glued in...have to see how well it holds up after it gets rounds thru it.

ycis
    came out great...just got it back from cgi for them to machine it out and install their bottom metal to accept detachable 300win mags that hold 30-06 just fine.

couldnt be happier with the result!

medic1012
    where did you get the mag well fit done? i am very interested in this stock for my 110. also does this stock require a detachable mag from the beginning?
    thanks

Determined

Does this Float the barrel?

Hey guys I know this thread is super old but it answered a lot of current question for me regarding this stock! I appreciate all your feedback and knowledge, I'm very new to the Rem 700 world and have been researching a lot of viable stocks. I found this Choate varmint stock very reasonable, I too have a non varmint barrel but am happy to hear it will still work. The question I have is will this stock with a regular non-varmint barrel 'float' my barrel? I know there's a lot of space left around the barrel if you don't have the varmint, thicker barrel and wasn't sure if this would count as 'floating' it? Any feedback is highly appreciated!

It won't even be close to touching so yes.
    Barrel is floated.
    Even a heavy varmint profile looks small in that barrel channel.

Determined
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
    It won't even be close to touching so yes.
    Barrel is floated.
    Even a heavy varmint profile looks small in that barrel channel.

Thank you for your quick response! Do you think it's better for my non-varmint barrel to get the regualr Choate ultimate sniper version? Does it appear ridiculous in the varmint version? I've just heard far better things about the varmint version and the fact that it floats is what I like, not sure if the ultimate sniper one floats also?