Thread: FYI Barrels

Speedrat1

FYI Barrels

Just FYI now that my barrel has arrived Numrick/Guns Parts Corp. Has a pretty good selection of barrels right at this time. I found for myself a new 300WM in heavy mag profile, threaded muzzle in stainless for 95 plus shipping. The barrels are listed as being genuine Savage for the ones I looked at but mine for whatever reason is what I would call semi-finished. Turned to contour chambered and threaded but not finish blasted or polished or roll stamped.

Basic Member
    Let us know how it shoots. I have one in .270 win. heavy contour I got from there a couple years ago that shoots lights out. It was also as you describe "semi-finished".

That's to be expected as the finishing process and roll stamp aren't done until after the barrel is mated to an action.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Clndesl
    Do you have a part # for that 300 win. That is exactly what I need. I went on the website but couldn't find them. Thanks.

Look under Savage Model 10 or 110 - that's where most are listed.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

seanhagerty
    WOW!! I just ordered a 300RUM varmit contour for $95 shipped!!

I am looking forward to this.

Sean

BTW, if they're chrome-moly barrels it's very possible (even likely) that they'll be "in the white".

seanhagerty
    I ordered a SS barrel.

Speedrat1
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    That's to be expected as the finishing process and roll stamp aren't done until after the barrel is mated to an action.
    you keep making me jealous... would love a tour de la tour of the plant! Thanks for the info.

Speedrat1
    Quote Originally Posted by Clndesl View Post
    Do you have a part # for that 300 win. That is exactly what I need. I went on the website but couldn't find them. Thanks.
    yes indeedeee it's 1252080 listed I think something like item 51 or 52 under the generic 110 listings
    Last edited by Speedrat1; 01-23-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: can't copy numbers correct

Clndesl
    Thanks a lot I just ordered mine. Did it ship pretty fast for you. All I need now is to find a 9/16x28tpi muzzle brake. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks again

stangfish
    E.R. Shaw

Speedrat1
    Actually I was pleasantly surprised the order to arrived in hand time was pretty much what it's always been for me, right at a week to two. I ordered it the 12th and it arrived in the brown bomber yesterday the 22nd.

Opus Dei
    Quote Originally Posted by seanhagerty View Post
    WOW!! I just ordered a 300RUM varmit contour for $95 shipped!!

I am looking forward to this.

Sean
    I got one of them last year when they had a 20% discount coupon. I intend to have it nitrided after a few more rounds.

seanhagerty
    Never even thought of nitriding. Hmmmmm.

How did it shoot?

Opus Dei

It seems to shoot fine. I burned up several rounds sighting in, but that was because I just got a mil/mil scope and suck at math.

I took it once to go deer hunting. Since the plan is to nitride it, I figured burnish the bore (and hunt medium-size game) with less-costly and lesser-velocity PL I & II ammo and then use PL III after it comes back from nitriding. I was walking to the blind and a pack of feral dogs came growling and posturing out of the brush-the ones that chase the deer on the place. I aimed for the alpha male, a big-azzed Pyrenees mix and got him in the throat/neck. Sweet Jesus, that was the boom of doom. Ruined the day but saved the season.

I've got 26 rounds down the barrel. Not all that was sighting-in, per se-some was just trying to fire. I posted about having issues with seeming light primer strikes. I ended up contacting Remington and sent ammo back. They determined it was an irregularity in the case and replaced the PL II Core-Lokts with PL III Premier Swift A-Frames. I believe the one place a fellow member used recommended 30-40 rounds before nitriding.

seanhagerty
    Thank you sir.

coopc230
    Does anyone know if a barrel made for the the model predator mast can be put on a model 11 trophy hunter? Looking at the 243.

coopc230
    I apologize, that should say model 10 predator hunter max 1.

If they are the same shank size yes.