Thread: Record sear spring shot???

Basic Member

Smile Record sear spring shot???

What is the official record distance to shoot the sear spring out of the trigger housing in the assembly/dis-assembly process? I got 38' tonight. In my 40' shop. I was on my work bench on one end. I found it on the other end by the door. Measured 38'. I didn't even hear a "tink..tink" to let me know where to look. 4 hour and 10 minute recovery time.....

Remember the sear spring must be recovered to count for a record..

I think I'll order a dozen and put them up till the next record attempt.

Tim

LOL!!!

Still looking for a couple of mine but I estimate they are in orbit somewhere and haven't re-entered yet.

BTW......assembly and dis-assembly in a zip lock keeps the distances to a minimum.

Team Savage
    Too Cool!!!!!!!! I think there should be a revolving award for the accomplishment!!!

Ken
    MSG, US Army (R)/NRA F Class Match Director/NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    "The Nut behind the Butt is Responsible for the flight of the Bullet!"

Werewolf
    I think that 38' should be a record for a recovery! Like Apache, mine were never seen or heard from again.

I had 8 foot once after it hit a wall and it bounced back a couple feet from the wall. I saw a vapor trail in the direction the spring went so I knew where to look.

Basic Member
    The recovery effort would have been abandoned after 5 minutes if I had a spare spring. Never can remember to order those. This is my son's first centerfire. Come hell or high water, we had to find that spring. Wasn't going to wait 2-3 weeks on an order. I think a ziplock baggie will be a part of future assembly/disassembly.

Tim

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny68 View Post
    The recovery effort would have been abandoned after 5 minutes if I had a spare spring. Never can remember to order those. This is my son's first centerfire. Come hell or high water, we had to find that spring. Wasn't going to wait 2-3 weeks on an order. I think a ziplock baggie will be a part of future assembly/disassembly.

Tim
    If its my above average skill level or just plain outhouse dumb luck the only part I launched in recent memory was a .140" extractor ball, but it was easy to find.....it landed in my coffee!

For future reference to clip the wings of those high flying sear springs use a slave. In this case a pin punch.

Set the housing in place then insert the slave all the way though just short enough to set the spring in place like this....

With the spring setting in place angle the pin in to capture the spring then square it up straight and use it to push and follow the slave out.

It allows you to kill a few stones with one bird, align the holes in the housing- action for installing the pin and prevent sear spring space launch!

No bags required!!!

Bill

Basic Member
    I gotcha all beat...I found 4 springs out in my parking lot!
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."