Thread: Clarification on action of model 10

Newbee

Clarification on action of model 10

is the model 10 predator max 1 in 243 a short action? Also, is the barrel "sportier " or "heavy"? I'm trying to fill out info info on ring selection on leupold's website. Thank you.

Basic Member
    Yes it is a short action.

And it has a "heavy" barrel.

Newbee
    Great! Thanks for the quick reply!

Newbee
    Odd leupold ring finder only lists model 10 round action right hand with sportier barrel. Seems the heavy barrel option is onlty available on 110 long action. So I assume 10 right hand short action round receiver would be best fit?

pitsnipe
    What is the tube and objective size of your scope?

Newbee
    The vx-3L 3.5 -10x50 mm with 30mm tube. This is leupold's L style that hugs the barrel and uses lower ring I think.

Mach2
    That's a big scope. Are you planning on hunting underground in total darkness?

Newbee
    Haha. Well, sorta. Mainly pigs at night. Ya think it's overkill?

Mach2
    30mm tubes and 50mm objectives do let in more light. I had a 30mm tube with a 56mm objective years ago and I was amazed at how light things were at distance. Since then I tend to prefer light, short lower power scopes for quick acquisition hunting. Smaller scopes alleviate the need for a cheek piece. My rifle with the 56mm objective did seem to require a lot of space to store.
    Pigs at night? I think you got the makings of some good lyrics for a country music song.

Newbee
    Good points. Maybe too much scope? Have not actually purchased. Leupold's long range models , lower part of objective is cresant shaped and sits much lower. Can accomodate lower rings. But lighter my be way to go

Newbee
    Maybe their illuminated 1-6x 24mm would be way to go. Lighter , faster but bright.

Mach2
    Again you mention brighter. You'd definantly get a good image in late evening dark woods if you had a 30mm tube and 50mm 0bjective.
    The first time I tested my 30mm tube and large objective was late one evening. I could see ok for about 15 feet but after that it was basically dark. yet when I looked thru the scope to a woodpile 150 yds away it was just as light there as it was at my feet. It was an eye opening experience.