Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Axis magazines

mjadams61

Broken Axis magazines

Has anyone broken the clip yet that holds the axis mag in place? I just bought the axis .308 today and was checking it out and notice the way the mag is retained in the rifle. I seen the price of mags for this rifle and plus alot of out of stock notices. So it got me a thinking if mine breaks what would I do? Well I figuire maybe some spring steel and a little JB weld will do the trick. Just make sure you have the right thickness of spring steel, the right bend and quenching of the steel since you have to heat to bend it and saving the broken plastic clip part when it breaks off. I will check the local gunsmiths around the DFW area to see if they have any broken mags to see if my ideal pans out. Since I have a full time job and a wife and three kids it will take me a little while plus I have only a .308 axis so I can oly test this out on mine but it should work on any model axis once I get it all figuired out. Just finding the broken mags to work on .

CJnWy
    When you get that figured out you can start on the 4 little plastic tabs that hold the POS together.....

s2mikey
    I know - it does seem a little fragile. And, magazines for this thing are like 1/8 the price or more of the entire gun. I hate that. Id like to get some replacements but I hate feeling like Im getting gouged for stuff. $50 bucks for the thing? Ugh! Must be careful....

DiverEngrSL17K
    The lowest prices I've personally seen for replacement Savage Axis magazines are from Grab-A-Gun in Texas ( www.grabagun.com ) ; they typically run in the $30.00-plus range for blued-finish magazines and in the $40.00-plus range for camoflaged ones. Two nice things about Grab-a-Gun is that they ususally offer free shipping on the magazines and also post in-stock availability on their web site, which helps with ordering. Hope this helps.

mjadams61
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverEngrSL17K View Post
    The lowest prices I've personally seen for replacement Savage Axis magazines are from Grab-A-Gun in Texas ( www.grabagun.com ) ; they typically run in the $30.00-plus range for blued-finish magazines and in the $40.00-plus range for camoflaged ones. Two nice things about Grab-a-Gun is that they ususally offer free shipping on the magazines and also post in-stock availability on their web site, which helps with ordering. Hope this helps.
    Well they have them in stock http://grabagun.com/accessories/maga...-308-camo.html but at $44.65. Like I said if I can find some damaged ones to experiment with. I did find a small hobby metal bender for about 88 bucks that should work to bend the spring steel without heating it up but I will not beable to get it until the end of feb or the first of march, I got three kids that need some dental work :). I figuire the time and material cost after I perfected the repair to be between 10-20 dollars per magazine and also I saw on here somewhere about a M14 mag conversion and maybe my ideal would work on it.

Basic Member
    Believe it or not, some modern plastics are actually superior in applications like this, where repeated flexing is involved. Now, I don't know that this is true with the Axis mag, but the lack of reports of mag catch failure in the Axis (and you KNOW they would show up here and elsewhere) means I for one will abide my time and not worry about it unless and until problems manifest themselves.

mjadams61
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgah View Post
    Believe it or not, some modern plastics are actually superior in applications like this, where repeated flexing is involved. Now, I don't know that this is true with the Axis mag, but the lack of reports of mag catch failure in the Axis (and you KNOW they would show up here and elsewhere) means I for one will abide my time and not worry about it unless and until problems manifest themselves.
    That is true but if the M14 mag does fit in the AXIS but does not have a way to latch just maybe my ideal on repairing the OEM mag might work on converting the M14 mag to work properly in the AXIS without having to modify the AXIS itself just the mag. And if the ideal does work I will slap a patent on it lol.

Yet another person trying to engineer a solution for a non-problem. I love this site!!!!

The Axis/Edge was introduced in 2010, and since then Savage has sold somewhere in the neighborhood of a 1/2 MILLION Axis rifles (Savage won't disclose specific numbers, but I was able to get that ball park figure from them). In that time I have yet to see a single post on this or any other forum pertaining to a broken magazine catch on an Axis.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    And if one of you roughnecks does succeed in breaking one, the replacement cap is $4.00
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

CJnWy
    the replacement cap is $4.00

Great point! Where do we findem?
    Didnt break the clip on mine but rather the two little plstic tabs on the back that help keep it aliened.....Now it either dosnt pickup the next round or the bolt catches the mag itself.

s2mikey
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Yet another person trying to engineer a solution for a non-problem. I love this site!!!!

The Axis/Edge was introduced in 2010, and since then Savage has sold somewhere in the neighborhood of a 1/2 MILLION Axis rifles (Savage won't disclose specific numbers, but I was able to get that ball park figure from them). In that time I have yet to see a single post on this or any other forum pertaining to a broken magazine catch on an Axis.
    I guess its fair to say its not a problem - but having some extra mags for a reasonable price would be great no matter what! At least one extra should you lose or break one. Or, 3-4 extra mags simply for convenience. I know its just 4 rounds. Actually, even better would be a larger capacity mag for it

Basic Member
    I would be curious about where to get the bottoms for $4.00 as well. Savage won't sell them as a replacement part, and has no plans of doing so, according to my smith. As of yet, I have not seen a single front release tab break either, but those itty bitty little rear tabs are a whole different story. A huge pain for such a small little piece.

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

I've gotten so used to hand-feeding my axis I almost never use the mag (though I'm not going to sell it).
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

s2mikey
    Do you guys think leaving the mag in and loading it while installed saves wear and tear as opposed to taking it out each time? Just curious....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
    Do you guys think leaving the mag in and loading it while installed saves wear and tear as opposed to taking it out each time? Just curious....

How in the world would you accomplish that??

Quote Originally Posted by pisgah View Post
    How in the world would you accomplish that??
    I think he means just single-shot hand-load which is what I was referring to. I only do that because unless I'm hunting a quick follow-up isn't necessary since I'm usually testing new loads and wait between shots anyway--as well as I like reducing the amount of mechanical movement in getting the cartridge chambered. Just a personal preference, not saying it's better.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

I have to admit that I'm concerned about how that little tab, and or, plastic cover is going to do at below freezing temperature when my wife and I are out Coyote hunting, but we'll just have to be very careful and not try to force it beyond its limits, (we both have Axis rifles in .223rem, hers right handed, mine left handed). Who knows, as others have stated it may be stronger then a steel equivalent would be, but cold and plastic just never seem to be a good combination. I hope it holds up and lasts a lifetime. If it turns out it doesn't, I can afford to buy a new magazine every year or so if I have to, and still be money ahead I think. So far, I've been nothing but impressed with our Aixis rifles.

s2mikey
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    I think he means just single-shot hand-load which is what I was referring to. I only do that because unless I'm hunting a quick follow-up isn't necessary since I'm usually testing new loads and wait between shots anyway--as well as I like reducing the amount of mechanical movement in getting the cartridge chambered. Just a personal preference, not saying it's better.
    Yeah, that was it :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogeritall View Post
    I have to admit that I'm concerned about how that little tab, and or, plastic cover is going to do at below freezing temperature when my wife and I are out Coyote hunting, but we'll just have to be very careful and not try to force it beyond its limits, (we both have Axis rifles in .223rem, hers right handed, mine left handed). Who knows, as others have stated it may be stronger then a steel equivalent would be, but cold and plastic just never seem to be a good combination. I hope it holds up and lasts a lifetime. If it turns out it doesn't, I can afford to buy a new magazine every year or so if I have to, and still be money ahead I think. So far, I've been nothing but impressed with our Aixis rifles.
    Do you worry about your Glock at below freezing temperatures? How about any number of a hundred plus other handguns that use polymer frames?

I know it's difficult to shake old stigma's, but people really need to get over this idea that all plastic is cheap and brittle and will crack/break at the most inopportune time. Today's polymers that are used in firearms are typically a hybrid mix where high grade Nylon 6 is the major component and they're totally different animals than the old Tenite (cellulose based) plastics that were used on guns back in the 1960's and 70's. The polymers being used in today's plastic trigger guards, magazine plates, pistol grips, etc. are in most cases based off the same Nylon 6 hybrid polymers being used in handgun frames.

urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Do you worry about your Glock at below freezing temperatures? How about any number of a hundred plus other handguns that use polymer frames?

I know it's difficult to shake old stigma's, but people really need to get over this idea that all plastic is cheap and brittle and will crack/break at the most inopportune time. Today's polymers that are used in firearms are typically a hybrid mix where high grade Nylon 6 is the major component and they're totally different animals than the old Tenite (cellulose based) plastics that were used on guns back in the 1960's and 70's. The polymers being used in today's plastic trigger guards, magazine plates, pistol grips, etc. are in most cases based off the same Nylon 6 hybrid polymers being used in handgun frames.
    As I said in my post, I hope it lasts a lifetime, but only time will tell if it does or not. I have read on another forum of an Axis owner who said he has put over a thousand rounds through his rifle and had not had a single problem with the locking clip or cover on his magazine. I'm well aware of the incredible tough new plastics that are available, but by no means expert enough to tell one from the other by sight. And yes, old stigmas die hard, anyone who grew up during the sixties, seventies and even eighties (as I did) has tasted the frustration of cheap plastic stuff that would break or deform very easy. I don't own a Glock, but I am aware of their reputation for durability. Both my wife and my carry conceal pistols are polymer framed, but they don't see too much below freezing temperatures because of body heat while we are carrying them. I've been nothing but impressed so far with my Axis, and most likely will continue to be impressed even if that clip broke off today it would not ruin my overall view of the Axis rifle, and I trust that a company such as Savage would have put it through some very rigorous testing before releasing it for sale. But I will say again that I will be Leary of it in sub freezing weather until it proves me wrong to be so.

BTW... My post was never meant to be a condemnation of the rifle, or company, in any way. If you look at the competing rifles in the same price range, they all have very similar designs, and I'm sure if a person followed reports on them there are probably people worried about the plastic clips breaking off of them also. BTW... None of the competing brands offered their rifles in a Left Hand version which along with the fact that my wife already owned one, and I was impressed with it, was a huge selling point for me. Yes we are a TWO Axis family, possibly soon to be a Three.
    Last edited by J.Baker; 01-28-2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Added end quote tag that was omitted

21. 01-28-2013, 04:41 PM
    Reason
    Per Poster's Request

Quote Originally Posted by Rogeritall View Post
    Hmmm... I don't know what happened to my last post, it seems to have disappeared. Long story short... I think Savage is a fine brand of Firearm, and I trust that they did many hours of research on their mag latch for the Axis. I read where a shooter on another forum shoot a thousand rounds through his Axis with no problems. But yes, old stigmas die hard, and I hope and trust the plastic they made the mag latch out of is not the same as the plastic of years gone by. If the latch failed today I would still be impressed with the rifle. My wife and I now own two, and maybe soon to be three.
    It was flagged for moderation for some reason. Basically just requires one of us mod types to approve it before everyone else can see it. It's an anti-spam feature of the software that "kinda" works as it should - but usually not on the right posts. lol

I think you'll find that most who have had the tabs break on their plastic bottom plate had them break because they tried to separate the plate from the metal housing for whatever reason. As with most plastic ears or tabs they're designed to snap in - not out, so when you try to take the part off more often than not you're going to break them.

I think you'll find that most who have had the tabs break on their plastic bottom plate had them break because they tried to separate the plate from the metal housing for whatever reason. As with most plastic ears or tabs they're designed to snap in - not out, so when you try to take the part off more often than not you're going to break them.
    That would work well for me... I don't plan on taking it apart anymore then is needed to maintain it. :) By the way Mrfurious, if you wish you can delete my second post #21 as a duplicate. I could do it manually, but it may be just as easy, or better for you to do it. Thanks...

HaroldB
    Had my Axis in .223 rem for over a year, hoping to find spare magazines.

Had to wait 3 weeks, but Cabelas has them now around $35 each. Pick up my 2 spares tomorrow.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    And if one of you roughnecks does succeed in breaking one, the replacement cap is $4.00
    Are these replacement caps available from you?? Or Northland?? I am in need of a few. Thanks!!

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast